DRZ in the Whoops Question

I recently had my bike for the first time in the whoops section at a track. I was having the hardest time since getting through with any real speed.

I started to think it was a combination of the heavier weight of the bike and the stock suspension settings I was using, then read another smaller rider having the same problem on a motocross bike.

I noticed the faster I went through the whoops the more the seat would hit my ass. I am wondering if since I have a 30" inseam that this is adversely affecting my ability to whip through whoops? At one point my ass hit my seat so hard that my head snapped back and I almost gave myself whiplash.

Does the DRZ have an unusually large distance between the pegs and the seat (as opposed to a motocrosser)? If this is my problem, any solutions?

Thanks guys.

nope ... well not from me aney way

I have a broekn back with rods and scruse holding me up so riding off road in that way is off limits ( I would love to sore like the MX guys ) this is why I have a SM set up as soft as It gets ... my DRZ rides smoother than some goldwings

sorry for getting off topic

maybe some offroad guys will chime in

Rear suspension does not have enough travel. I've noticed this too, I've found standing up, butt not back(almost vertical) with your chin about where the speedo/number plate would be if you drew a straight line up to you.

I had the same issue seat hit my butt in the whoops and I found out the owners manual suggests the high speed damping nut (the blue one on the rear shock) should be 1 and a 1/4 turns out from fully in. later on I found a thread on here that said the manual is wrong it should be 1 1/4 turns in from fully out.

I set mine to 1 1/4 turns in from fully out and I have to say the suspension is so sweet now (compared to before) its like night and day especially in the whoops

• Like 1

It's not your height. It's the stroke of your rear suspension. The top part of the drz's stroke (stock) is quite plush but the bottom of the stroke gets to a point where you get some decent resistance (if you're a light weight rider..heavier riders won't call it stiff at all :ride: ). The bottom half of the stroke action coupled with a less then MX friendly rebound gives you that kick feeling and it increases in stiffness (aka kickback into your butt) as you increase your speed.

Picture the rear compressing on whoop #2 and its doesn't have enough time to gradually uncompress before you hit the next whoop for 2 reasons, the stroke rebound is slow and you're riding fast. Now, when whoop 3 and 4 come, you are essentially hitting them with maybe 3 inches of travel (or less) left at the bottom end of the stroke .... and that is the firmest part of suspension on the stock drz. So, you feel the stiffest part that does not absorb and it's close to, if not hitting, the rubber bumper in the shock housing. (I think that is what its called). All this translates to your body absorbing the fast quick hits that the suspension should absorb for you. The same this is holds true, (with some mild differences) with your front suspension. What is your height, weight and riding experience level (ie. beginner, novice, intermediate, pro, vet?)

• Like 1

The scenario Stephen 207 is describing is called packing. When the rebound damping in the rear suspension is too high (turned in) the suspension cannot extend back out fast enough to follow the terrain after each whoop. Basically feels like you have no suspension.

To offer a differing opinion it sounds like you don't have enough rebound damping. That means that after the suspension compresses in a whoop there is not enough rebound damping to slow its extension. It comes back up so quickly that it nails you in the butt. There have been lots of threads where people had similar issues.

One other possibility but less likely is way too much compression damping. That basically means that the rear feels rigid and like its only using a tiny bit of the available travel.

Suspension takes a bunch of time to sort out but you will get it right with some fiddling. Do a search on suspension adjustment here in the forum.

Good Luck

To offer a differing opinion it sounds like you don't have enough rebound damping. That means that after the suspension compresses in a whoop there is not enough rebound damping to slow its extension. It comes back up so quickly that it nails you in the butt. There have been lots of threads where people had similar issues.

One other possibility but less likely is way too much compression damping. That basically means that the rear feels rigid and like its only using a tiny bit of the available travel.

Suspension takes a bunch of time to sort out but you will get it right with some fiddling. Do a search on suspension adjustment here in the forum.

Good Luck

I found this to be true as well. Been working on my suspension over the last few weeks. Take your time to get it dialed in. I did turn my blue high speed nut completely out and then adjusted rebound to keep the bike from hitting me in the butt. You will need to experiment with these settings to find what works best for the terrain you are riding. I would expect from your experience you may want to go directly to the rebound dampening below the swingarm and make the adjustments.

since I have the same problem, you guys keep referring to this "blue nut", I dont see any blue nut on mine. Maybe its because I have an 01, but I thought the rear suspension(I know the front forks are different) has stayed the same throughout the years?:ride:

Thanks guys.

So I either have too much rebound damping or too little. I should have video recorded it then I could tell. I will have to do some research. Unfortunately its not easy for me to get to the track and spend some hours working on the settings.

I am tempted to just get a race 450 since the DRZ is just not the bike for the track. That being said I came second in the two races I ran with it, with Distanzias and stock suspension settings. Was beat by a 450 CRF in novice open and a KXF250 in the SM Lites class. The guy in the KXF ran over the whoops like it was a cattle guard and pretty much jumped over me in the jump section. The DRZ is an incredible bike if you think about what it was designed for and that its now in its 9th model year.

Here is a video of the practice day prior to race day. I am in the black and white in the dirt section twice at :47 and :57.

My first race and I am hooked. If you guys havent given it a try, go for it.

DIAL IT IN.............just like what was said by the others here:eek:

You must get the correct springs (F&R) for your weight, then you've gotta' SET THE SAG correctly for you as dressed when riding. You might want to go ahead & get your shock & fork valved correctly for your application too, but this will be some extra bucks........but very worth it in the end.

Then AND ONLY THEN can you begin to address the correct rebound & compression settings for your shock and the correct settings for the fork too!

The DRZ HAS ENOUGH SUSPENSION, but it must be set up to work properly.

NO IT'S NOT A 225 lb MX BIKE..............but if you put a bit of money and a lot of time into it, you will be amazed at just how good it can be made to work:thumbsup:

You can also learn a lot by going to the TT SUSPENSION FORUM too:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47

HappyRiding !!

:ride:?

• Like 2

• 9 years later...