DRZ in the Whoops Question

On 7/31/2008 at 3:29 PM, mel22b said:

I recently had my bike for the first time in the whoops section at a track. I was having the hardest time since getting through with any real speed.

I started to think it was a combination of the heavier weight of the bike and the stock suspension settings I was using, then read another smaller rider having the same problem on a motocross bike.

I noticed the faster I went through the whoops the more the seat would hit my ass. I am wondering if since I have a 30" inseam that this is adversely affecting my ability to whip through whoops? At one point my ass hit my seat so hard that my head snapped back and I almost gave myself whiplash.

Does the DRZ have an unusually large distance between the pegs and the seat (as opposed to a motocrosser)? If this is my problem, any solutions?

Thanks guys.

A combination of things are at play here and some of which you have observed. It all comes down to a proper suspension and the DRZ will need a little work to get there. The seat is hitting your ass because the DRZ doesn't have enough low speed compression damping and it's blowing through the stroke. Due to this you are getting waaaaay more rebound than you should if the compression was working properly. Your size is not the problem, furthermore, Ricky Carmichael's size was not a problem either.

On 8/1/2008 at 6:49 AM, Stephen_207 said:

Here is a quick way to get some answers too. Call Factory Connection at (866) 220-1151 and ask for Brad. He won't cram a sell down your throat but he will give you great advice even if you don't use them.

Definitely a good idea.

Reading up on the physics of how suspensions work is a good idea too. They are complex, and you might find at the end of the day you're best off sending the rear shock out to be revalved. Forks are a little easier than shocks.

Here is an interesting thread on revalving the DRZ suspension.

Another good thing to do is put your DRZ on a diet. In some states the only way to ride certain areas is to have a plate. SOme states allow you to plate purpose built off-road bikes. Depending on where you ride and what your ultimate goals are, you might be better off selling the DRZ and buying a bike that is much closer matched to your riding regime from the factory.

10 hours ago, Bermudacat said:

A combination of things are at play here and some of which you have observed. It all comes down to a proper suspension and the DRZ will need a little work to get there. The seat is hitting your ass because the DRZ doesn't have enough low speed compression damping and it's blowing through the stroke. Due to this you are getting waaaaay more rebound than you should if the compression was working properly. Your size is not the problem, furthermore, Ricky Carmichael's size was not a problem either.

Definitely a good idea.

Reading up on the physics of how suspensions work is a good idea too. They are complex, and you might find at the end of the day you're best off sending the rear shock out to be revalved. Forks are a little easier than shocks.

Here is an interesting thread on revalving the DRZ suspension.

Another good thing to do is put your DRZ on a diet. In some states the only way to ride certain areas is to have a plate. SOme states allow you to plate purpose built off-road bikes. Depending on where you ride and what your ultimate goals are, you might be better off selling the DRZ and buying a bike that is much closer matched to your riding regime from the factory.

Gee Bermuda,  you been around long enough,  how did you get sucked in by a 10 year old post?    :facepalm:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bucket list said:

Gee Bermuda,  you been around long enough,  how did you get sucked in by a 10 year old post?    :facepalm:

Page 37.

Seemed like a good question, so I answered it.

Good questions deserve good answers. :thumbsup:

Interesting though, page 40 is still August 2017. Maybe that thread was bumped by some post that was deleted? :excuseme:

Edited by Bermudacat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bermudacat said:

Page 37.

Seemed like a good question, so I answered it.

Good questions deserve good answers. :thumbsup:

Interesting though, page 40 is still August 2017. Maybe that thread was bumped by some post that was deleted? :excuseme:

It was a good answer.

:thumbsup:

• Like 2