DR650 nuetral to 1st gear clunk?

do others have this? when the engine is hot the shift into first is rough. if i shift slowly i can hear parts clicking past each other (kinda like a ratchet) before it shifts. should i be concerned? what can i do to eleminate this?

i'm using fresh amsoil 10w-40.

thanks!

All I know is every bike/quad ive ridden does this sometimes at least. I always shift quickly and firmly into first which reduces the ugly noises. Not sure whats happening but someone here with more knowledge will surely chime in. The worst I ever felt was on a new Harley Softail.

its just the gearbox design, think of the DR gearbox like its lifted from a truck. Oil plays a big role. When I use fresh motul 5100 10w50 its happy for about the first 500km then it starts to degrade and get worse. Think I might try some expensive fully synthetic stuff to see if it lasts longer

...Oil plays a big role. When I use fresh motul 5100 10w50 its happy for about the first 500km then it starts to degrade and get worse. Think I might try some expensive fully synthetic stuff to see if it lasts longer

Shell Rotella Synth. Works awesome, for about 3K street miles too! You are welcome. :ride:

I'm also using the Amsoil product w/ no problems. Here's a list of stuff I feel helps eleviate crunch;

1.Correctly adjusted clutch

2.Correctly lubricated & adjusted chain

3.Idle speed adjusted on the low limit

4.Before putting into gear, pull the clutch lever in 2-3 times and blip the throttle, let come back to idle and click into gear

I do feel the DR tends to heat up the oil pretty good and should be changed pretty often, optimizing lubrication for smoother & quieter shifts.

Motoretro

• 3 months later...
looks like a common problem.

It's not a problem, it's just the nature of the beast and the answer to your question has already been posted below.

Don't baby it, smack that thing down (within reason of course) and it will have no time to wonder if it should or not (parts clicking past each other).

Motorcycles, ATV's, outboard motors, ect. Get it in gear as quick as possible. :bonk:

Boatxr, I have the same issue. The 'ratcheting' on slow shift into 1st is the teeth of first gear not meshing completely. Try to avoid this. I follow item 4 from Motoretro. Clutch a cuppla times, blip on throttle, back to idle then firm change into gear. Works for me.

Cold - no problem. Hot - issues. ??? Go figure. I"m sure is is just oil drag in amongst the clutch plates, possibly oil becoming sticky through heat (maybe)

Nothing much to worry about, though.

Shmokin'