When is it too hot to ride?

We're having record heat here in Texas, and I have trouble finding people to ride with. It reached 105 today. I was planning to ride despite my reservations, and I was actually relieved when a buddy had to cancel. Anyways, I wonder if I should shut it down until it cools down. I carry a camelpak with 90 ounces of water, but this can be depleted quickly. I'm 35 and in good shape, but I worry about what ifs...like a breakdown, bogging deep into a slow/technical trail that requires all of my energy, having to repair a tube, etc. So I'm curious what other forum members think. When does riding in the heat cross the line from risky to stupid? Also, has anyone tried those cooling vests you soak in water and wear under your jersey? They claim to help, but only last an hour and a half which doesn't seem to cut it on a long ride. Let me know your thougts, even if it includes references to my wearing panties...I can take it. Good gas to all....

GP

Its 115 today, yep way to hot! I usually just make it a point to have my bike loaded up the night before and be on my bike way before the sun even comes up I can usually get a good 4 to 5 hours of ride time in before its way to hot. But fine with me still gives me time to wash the beast and do my prep for next weekend. And then I still have the rest of the day to do whatever. Most of my riding buds cant ever get up that early so Im usually riding solo. Hopfully only about two more months of this excesive heat warning crap before I can sleep in til 8 or 9 then go out for the day.:ride:

I will never make plans to go ride if the weather report says that it's going to be over 90. Once I'm actually there, I'll ride if it's up to about 95. I got mild heat stroke earlier in this summer when it was 103. It was horrible. I'm not willing to let that happen again. I'm also not willing to not wear any of my safety gear. Maybe I'm a wuss, but that is how I'm going about the heat now.

grego where do you ride?

and ya i think today was right at the edge of being too hot 106 with the heat index at 110+ is no fun... i live in the Dallas area, and just walking outside it was bad...theres no way i would go on a ride that takes me far from camp in weather like this, but where i ride most of the time im within a mile from camp, and i take a break from riding the trails every 30-45 minutes or so to drink some water or gatorade.

I live in Yuma Az where it is hot in the summer also. I ride in the early mornings or in the evenings. I always wear a camelback and usually i wet my jersey and partially my pants. When it's in the extreme 110+ i don't usually ride. I don't want to become a heat casualty. If you run out of water it doesn't take long to overheat with all of the gear. I have never had an issue with my bikes in the heat.

Iv' reading a book on re-hydration from "Hammer" racing. It's mainly about endurance(products), but the main thing is that the body cannot assorb more than 20 to 30 % of what it depeats per hour. so the key is to hydrate the days before a ride.

I personaly use an old cut off t-shirt (to wet down before a ride.)

You all pretty much confirmed my own thoughts. Up to 99 degrees I'm okay, but anything beyond that is suffocating and it ceases to be fun. I hate not being able to ride and unless I get out twice a month, It takes me longer to find my groove and improve as a rider. But that's better than heatstroke which I have experienced mountain biking. It sucks. I always try to stay hydrated, but my affinity for delicious cold beer in the summer makes it difficult to do properly. I guess I need to prioritize. Thanks for the input fellas.

I live in Yuma Az where it is hot in the summer also. I ride in the early mornings or in the evenings. I always wear a camelback and usually i wet my jersey and partially my pants. When it's in the extreme 110+ i don't usually ride. I don't want to become a heat casualty. If you run out of water it doesn't take long to overheat with all of the gear. I have never had an issue with my bikes in the heat.

Yeah...That's 'cause you're insane:bonk: ;) You're the only one in the Yuma area who is reliable and consistent year round. I never get to thank you for that since I'm too busy looking for your dust trail:thumbsup: :rant: I hope you're prepared to wait longer now that you have a factory race 450X.....:ride::p

Above 80 isn't much fun for me. Inhaling clouds of dust and melting aren't my best things. Today I was splashing around on the jet ski like a sensible lad, waiting for it to cool down enough to ride in September.

I head up to the tree line when it gets up around 100 here in Boise. As long as I have shade, off and on and plenty of water. I can get a good 4-5 hr ride in. But then again, I came here from AZ, so I'm pretty much use to it.

Best advise I can give is the obvious. Stay hydrated or your screwed, and stop riding alone.

Totally agreed. I've been tempted to ride alone just so I can get some seat time in. Ultimately, I reflect on past injuries and breakdowns and as bad as they were, I would have been totally screwed without a riding partner. Those that do must be supremely confident in their mechanics and riding ability. Beyond that, I think there is too much outside of my control to take this risk. Perhaps it's off topic, but quad-tards seem to be the ones that have the least respect for other's safety on the trails. It seems apparent in their usual lack of personal safety gear and their speed around blind corners. I know there are exceptions, but I liken them to snowboarders in the 90's....accidents waiting to happen. Quads are for fat women....real men do it on two wheels. Truth or fiction?

real men do it on two wheels. Truth or fiction?

sounds like something i'll have to try :ride:

....real men do it on two wheels. Truth or fiction?

You mean like this?:)

Picture143.jpg

2 of my boys having fun

You mean like this?:worthy:

Picture143.jpg

2 of my boys having fun

hahaha... cool picture. And truly.. 2 wheels for sure!

I don't want to pull this too far off topic... But how about no - wheels?! :ride:

(and yes, I usually have a quad and a bike in the stable)

glamis-jj-q2.jpg

... if you don't know, San Diego Sportcycles owner in the background... one on his ass, the other doing a handstand. Damn guy, taking my fame!! :banghead: .... great guys I've known for years. :)

:D

I rode on a private track last weekend at 106. It wasn't humid and there was a breeze, so it wasn't that bad. Last weekend, humid in the 90's felt worse. I weld all week in the heat wearing leather sleeves, so I'm not going to let the heat get in the way of some fun. I don't ride too long before pulling over for powerade. Drink plenty before you get thristy, I drank 6 quarts of powerade in 2 hours. I used to cramp, but taking potassium all week cured that.

Just think of the gear our soldiers are wearing and how hot it is in Iraq.

Well 98 and up is pretty dang hot. but as far as cold ive done 24 degrees

On 110 degree days I really like riding in the early morning, its probably my favorite time to ride out of the whole year. From 5am to 9am I just love the temp. It's perfect usually; warm but manageable.

Ha! I had a feeling I'd eat those words, but I was feeling a bit mischievous. I've reconsidered my feelings on quads. Anyone catching that much air or pulling Congo line side wheelies gets a pass. Thanks for playing along.

hahaha... cool picture. And truly.. 2 wheels for sure!

I don't want to pull this too far off topic... But how about no - wheels?! :worthy:

(and yes, I usually have a quad and a bike in the stable)

glamis-jj-q2.jpg

... if you don't know, San Diego Sportcycles owner in the background... one on his ass, the other doing a handstand. Damn guy, taking my fame!! :ride: .... great guys I've known for years. :)

:D

that handstand is some funny sxxt haha

the great thing about an x, is that it has a headlight, ride at night, its what I do, did 110 miles the other night, felt so good, and only took a few hours at that