Sign in to follow this  

Helmets? No fear vs. SIXSIXONE

08 optima II $100 from $160 Or 06 SIXSIXONE HURRRICANE $150 from $350.

Both DOT and snell. Im leaning toward SIXSIXONE. Since it was $350. Or? Im looking for no more than $150.

sixsixone... mine along with my leatt saved my mobility and/or life. If I didn't have my leatt there would have been a very high possibility I could've snapped my neck and spinal cord. The sixsixone performed just as designed by taking all of the impact through the helmet and not my head. I got a screaming deal on my sixsixone and the only reason why I didn't buy another is because the model I wanted was discontinued, so I went with a thor force.

I'm sure the no fear is a great helmet (infact I almost bought one) but after seeing/knowing how well the sixsixone performed first hand, I'd go with it.

0529081951.jpg

0529081950.jpg

You still can't see all the cracks that star throughout the helmet, but when you see it first hand close up, you can see all of the fiberglass that has starred. It did exactly what it was supposed to.

so much for my spy's though... :/

0529082008.jpg

i had an 07 no fear optimal 2.. awsome helmet.. it did its job.. replaced after a hard crash and only visable damage was a broken visor and a small crack in the shell on the back of my head..

both are good helmets tho.. so my pick would be the one that fits your head the best..

also i belive the 08 lid is like 90 bucks from motosport.. so i would check that out..

Ive had both...

Fit and finish: By far No fear... feels like a $500 helmet

Looks: 661. cool graphics

Function: 661 is a BIT lighter... both will do their job

Id say No Fear cause its cheaper and fits REALLY well, the 661 felt really "mt. biker-ish", and didn't cover my chin well... (i have a tall head)

I'd say no fear, but what you SHOULD do is go out to local shops and try different helmets on.

Thats what I did this past week, and I found out that the Optimal 2 fits my head/face better than a TLD lid. Which made me very happy! I also tried on a 661 flight helmet... and I cant remember if i liked the way it fit. Im pretty sure if It was better I would've remembered.

Its definitely going to be my next helmet. And if its DOT/SNELL approved, what makes a more expensive helmet better other than possibly weight?

I have a nofear prime, and its awesome. I dont have any shops close to me, so I cant try it on. I like the nofear stuff, I have never tryed 661. I could always return the nofear. I dont think the 661 cuz its old.

I will tell you that the 661 fits very nice, but you definitly want to try them on before you buy them. I'm glad I did with mine. Here's an example why. In bell helmets I wear a medium, in fox helmets I wear an XL, in every other helmet I wear a large. Always try them on. I like my thor. Don't get me wrong it fits great and is comfortable, but I still liked my 661 a little better though. I do like the no fear gear too. I've always been a fan of their products. Good, high quality gear for a decent price. Infact I still have a set of gear from 03 I believe. The pants finally ripped last season (washer kinda ate them) but it was nothing a few stitches couldn't fix. Other than that, still looks pretty new lol. Also if you have a local dealer check with them and see what kind of deals they can cut on you on the helmets they have in stock. Most dealers will sell the helmets they have instock at a cheaper price than anyone else. I can't complain cernic's hooks me up with some smoking deals, but then again after being a former racer for them and spending who knows how much there they should lol. I haven't payed over $200 for a helmet yet there. Including the 661 icon and force PC replica.

I don't know about the No Fear but the 661 feels too small on the top of my head and two large around the cheek and the other portions. Maybe it is just not made for my head but you should find a store that carries them and try it first.

HJC makes both of their helmets...

Sorry, the 661 lid is made by KBC 🙂

Sorry, the 661 lid is made by KBC 🙂

correct, which make's over 3/4's of the helmets on the market today.

I had a bad experience with a KBC helmet. Took a lick to the head that gave me a grade II concussion but the EPS in the helmet didn't give at all. It was too stiff so the entire force of the impact went directly to my noggin.

I had a bad experience with a KBC helmet. Took a lick to the head that gave me a grade II concussion but the EPS in the helmet didn't give at all. It was too stiff so the entire force of the impact went directly to my noggin.

Same happened to me in my old FLY helmet. Bad concussion... Doctor said helmet didnt do its job. 🙂

Same happened to me in my old FLY helmet. Bad concussion... Doctor said helmet didnt do its job. 🙂

After that happened to me, I started wearing a softer ECE approved helmet.

I have a One Industries helmet that is made by KBC in China. A $300 helmet that is mediocre at best. First time I wore it in the rain the visor bolts corroded. Not even remotely close to the fit, finish, and quality of my Arai. Bought it because I liked the color/graphics. I will do more research in the future and stay away from helmets made in China.

After that happened to me, I started wearing a softer ECE approved helmet.

I'm not really too familiar witht he helmet ratings, so could you please explain the ECE and EPS? haha I'm not really sure what they are. I do however know DOT and snell lol. I just haven't looked into helmets that much. I'd like to know which helmets are ECE rated so I'll make sure to buy one that is next time I need a new helmet. Also, where do you find that kind of information about a helmet?

I'm not really too familiar witht he helmet ratings, so could you please explain the ECE and EPS? haha I'm not really sure what they are. I do however know DOT and snell lol. I just haven't looked into helmets that much. I'd like to know which helmets are ECE rated so I'll make sure to buy one that is next time I need a new helmet. Also, where do you find that kind of information about a helmet?

ECE is the European helmet standard developed specifically for motorcycles. It is arguably superior to Snell for our purposes. Only two helmet lines in the US are available with the ECE certification, Vemar and Shark.

EPS is Expanded Polystyrene. It's the shock absorbing foam inside the helmet.