Sign in to follow this  

Almost died on saddleback today

So i went on a ride with a buddy up Ortega to the North divide. Just before bluejay campgrounds is a turn off towards saddleback. On our way we took some trails and roads and made our way up to the top. When we left, we went down the other side towards trabuco canyon to find ourselves stuck behind a gate, we didn't have enough gas to turn around at this point so we went another way and another gate... we hit 5 gates and were stuck. Some how we skipped some gate on the way in on the trails but now we were riding in an area we were not suppose to be in. We had no choice but to get our bikes over one of the gates that we thought would lead us to trabuco. Tight single track with a cliff straight to the bottom for about 2 hours trying to get down to only run into 2 more gates. Once over those, more single track, like really bad, then another gate! Finally we saw houses and were relieved. When we got to the last huge gate at the ranger station, as were asking for help from the ranger, he gets mad and does not care that were out of water and can barley walk. We left at 10 this morning, got to the summit at 1 and got to the ranger station at 5:30... it was a longgg way down. Almost out of gas, the ranger asks what the hell do u think u guys are doin? We explained what happened and he was all like no no no... all the gates are closed, but no, they weren't lol. So he radios to another ranger then to dispatch... he whispers you guys are in a load of *ucking trouble, so we start yelling at him lol. We try and get our bikes out so we can get outta there and as we do, hes like no no, I have to take pictures. I had it at this point, I had some words with him and called him a 2.5 I didn't care what he had to say i just wanted to get outta there and make it to the store down the road for some water. As we finally get our bikes around this gate, he says "Hey, some how the gate was open on the North divide" "Duh you idiot, thats what i said and also... it says its open online" What a day!!! So I guess... Saddleback is closed?!?! (I'm Alive) 🙂

... I had it at this point, I had some words with him and called him a 2.5 I didn't care what he had to say i just wanted to get outta there ...

I was with you up to that point. What the hell is a 2.5?

2.5 as in half a cop, guy with a radio in his gun holster. Well we went about 5 miles in on the dirt road from north divide, where road cuts off to the right with the big white gate before you go into bluejay; then took mostly trails up to the top. I think that is where we got screwed, the trails at that point were NOT marked "No Access" but from hopping from trail to trail we some how got past a few gates I think and ended up stuck.

Only North Main Divide and Indian Truck Trail are currently open. The last I heard, the Forest Service may open up the gates as early as November, but nothing is confirmed.

Here is a link that shows the trail conditions in the Cleveland National Forest:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/conditions/

Ya, thats where we checked before we took off, but i guess some of the trails were not marked 🙂 o well, im safe