Sign in to follow this  

Crf 450x Reliability

I rode an '07 CRF450X with just an aftermarket pipe on the weekend and came away mighty impressed. The bike just tipped into corners awsome, even when i thought i had missed them, and the engine was very responsive. Suspension may have been a little soft but allowed the bike to drive out of corners incredibly well. So now i am thinking of swapping camps and getting one.

The only reason i did not get one earlier was due to all the reliability issues that i have heard and seen with the earlier models. Do the new models still have the top end issues and are the gearboxes still locking up on the odd bike?

I am looking at getting a new '08 model so any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Haydos.

Over 5000 miles on my 05 before I put SS valves in, thats it. Oh a battery went after 2 years. No other problems at all. Unless you count brake pads and tires:worthy: 🙂

Yeah some people have had no problems and then some have vowed never to buy one again. One of those a very good mechanic and rider. So i am a little nervous of them, but crikey, it was a good bike to ride.🙂

2.5 years on my 2005 450X with NO need for valve adjustments. i just clean filters and put in new oil. no issues whatsoever.

f'ing great bike is all i can say 🙂:D

*the 250s are the ones that have the majority of issues due to being wrung out more for power than its bigger brother.

Valve adjustment After 1600 miles. Zero problems. The bike is solid! Thats why I went with Honda and haven't looked back

I've had about 15 bikes over the years and some were reliable, some were not. Those that have had the same ones have had similar experiences or the exact opposite. I don't believe any particular brand is more reliable than another nor have they ever been. The fact is, some are good, some are problematic. Doesn't matter how well you take care of it either. I'm very meticulous and I have friends that neglect their bikes. Somehow, it doesn't seem to matter. Seems to be more of a "fate" thing.

I have a year on my 450X and it's so far, so good. I'll be abusing it in Arizona for a solid week starting this weekend and have no reservations of it's reliability.

My buddy had to rebuilt his top end at 80 hrs. I told him to go with SS valves but he didn't listen. Will be interesting to see how long with the top end last now. It's an 06

If you never want to worry about valves I would suggest a 2-smoke, that goes for all 4 strokes.

As for reliability, I would say it's one of the most reliable bikes on the trail. If you do have issues with the valves you will know it before your out on the trail. The bike will get real hard to start. A valve job will cost you about $300 to $400. My bike is a 05 with a lot of hours on it. I just did the valves on my bike.

As for the trans, you will see some guys do have issues with them. In all the years on this board the number has been low. Add a full quart of oil to the trans and that seems to help a lot.

One thing that does seem to happen a bit is the count shaft seal goes out on them. It's a $10 or so part. I would sugggest to everyone on a CRF450X to have a extra one with then on the trail. Mine went out in Baja and I had to ride the bike 77 miles with little to none trans oil in it. If I had another seal with me, it was something I could have fixed on the trail with the right tools. The you can use some of your fork oil in the trans to get you back.

Right now we have a 450X and a 250X. Would I buy another CRFX. Hell yes I would. I like the bikes a lot. If they ever come out with a CRF150X I will get one of those also. 🙂

Now that would be a fun one. I'm that little cat (5'10,165lbs) and those bikes fit me awesome. A 150X with a 6-speed tranny...that would be a good time. :D

That would even be fun with my fat azz on it. I got to ride a KX100 last weekend and man those little 2-smokes are fun. I think we are going to get one for my daughter. Light, and fast, the only bad thing is they are green. 🙂

Put me down for a CRF 150X as well...another case of Honda missing the boat.🙂

I have to say if another brand come out with something like a CRF150X, I will jump ship. I went yesterday to look at the klx140L. I'm going to have to find someone with one to ride. If the power is anything like the 150r I will get one.

I don't think the KLX 140 is anywhere near a 150R...

It's basically a CRF 150F. It's air cooled, two valves per cylinder, 9.5:1 compression, telescopic forks, etc.

In other words... a dog.🙂

Yep you are right. I think for now we will just get a older KX100 for her. The 2002 or older ones are still green stickered. They kick azz also even with my fat azz on it.