Sign in to follow this  

KTM 125SX----------- Which SPARK PLUG

I have a 2002 125SX. I have no idea what spark plug it is actually sapposed to have. I bought it with a br9eg, and I use br9es instead of the eg model. Both work perfectly but I would like to try the correct plug. Two manuals I found online say that it needs an NGK br9eix. The owners manual says ngk br9evx. Will any of these plugs even make a difference over the br9es? Which ones will work best?

Thanks

Phil

Okay so apparantly the br9evx is a platinum tip. The br9eix is the iridium tip. NGK says that the br9eix is their superior plug since iridium is so much stronger than platinum and it allowed them to make the tip on the iridium plug smaller. It takes less energy to produce a spark through a smaller tip. So I'm guessing the br9eix iridium plug is the best one and it just hadnt been created yet in 2002 when my bike manual was printed. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

From A post I just did on KTMTALK

"Son's bike had a BR9EIX in it when we got it, so I decided to stick with it. Called the bike shops in town and they could get it for $13.80 ea., called Advance Auto down the street, and he said sure we can order it. If I ordered it before 6:00 PM, they would have it by 2:00 PM the next day, for $6.72 ea. So I ordered 2. "

just run the 9es...but shop where Ed goes and save $..

Wow. I literally just got back 2 minutes ago from picking up a br9eix. It was $10.50!!!!!! DEMI did you get my message? I'll send another.

ALSO I was wondering if a br8es would work. I was offered a large box of brand new br8es plugs for free. The guy ran ONLY THESE plugs in his sons kx125 and swear by them. I have heard negative and positive things about hotter plugs. I have heard that if the plug is hot enough it can burn a hole in the top of a piston, I have also heard that running a plug that is 1 range higher in heat can actually burn the fuel more completely...i think everyone will agree that free plugs for life would be nice. I have never fouled a plug in my bike and there are a LOT of plugs in the box. Anyone know?

as long as it is a "BR" it will work. Lots of people swear by the ES cuz its cheap and if jetted right you shouldnt foul a plug. They dont make the ev anymore and you are right the irisium wasnt made in 02. I personally use the iridium, have never fouled one and I would rather have the little extra it may give in foul resistance.

I completely agree. I have never fouled a plug in my bike...and I dont plan to. A lot of times I go on a far ride and I dont bring any extras or a tool and I would be in a difficult situation if I fouled one. I think the iridium has better ignitability anyhow. What do you pay for your iridium plugs Mike?

You wrote br8es twice. What other plug did you mean? The 125SX is sapposed to have a 9 heat. 8 heat wont hurt it AT ALL?

I used to run the Iridiums in my '83 YZ80 and the difference was HUGE relative to the regular NGK racing plugs. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Did you notice any differences?

Thanks Jackdrinker. I'll try both.

As for CamRennie. No I havent noticed a difference in power. I havent taken the bike out yet. So I'll just have to wait and see.

BTW, the 36mm carb from a 300Xc made this bike amazing in the woods..

It was easy to jet and the plug needs 1/8 the attention before.. She can ride it just below the pipe and keep speed and momentum, quick stab of the clutch and it comes unglued.. Hers is a 2004..

hi my jetting setup on ktm 125 sx is 180 main and 45 pilot, witch plug to use? will a b9eg work?

Oh wow. I'm at a 190 main and a 50 pilot. I personally thing that the br9eg is the best plug, and I have used them ALL. I only run the br9eg now.