Sign in to follow this  

This is what happens...

... when I let my brother borrow my stuff. Well first of all, I have been having financial issues and haven't been able to make payments on my bike so my brother and I came up with an agreement that he would ride it for a month and pay me the monthly dues. Also his truck was gonna be down for a couple weeks so that he could repair it. Sounds great right? Well so I give him the bike and told him to be careful cause of my tire set up (knob on rear death wing up front (only because I'm too broke to put at new front tire). Well only a week after, he was riding along some train tracks and somehow got into some rough terrain which led him to crash. Apparently his shoulder dislocated because the bike was hoping around which he then couldn't hold on and fell. Luckily my brother just walked away with a couple bruises and scratches.

Here is damage done:

Swingarm3.jpg

Dents in the swing arm

Swingarm4.jpg

Plastic.jpg

Scratched and melted from the bike laying down

Plastic2.jpg

BrakeLever.jpg

Bent brake lever

Chainsideswingarm.jpg

You can see the chain is loose.

So I wasn't to happy about all this that I saw. The chain is completely dry and loose like you can see. I then checked the oil which was a half quart low! Also there was coolant along the top of the radiator which I'm not sure if it's from opening the top or if it has a leak. I found out he took it camping for a weekend. I just let him borrow the bike so he can get back and forth to work while he fixes his truck. Now he doesn't want to pay for the damages which is awesome.

Now I'm no frame/suspension expert but will that dent lessen the strength of the swing arm? I don't think so myself but you never know.

Sorry if the pictures come out huge. They're supposed to be of decent size.

should of put a clause that said you break it you fix it in your verbal contract with your brother.the dents in the swing arm should be fine as long as the dent didn't lead to bending of the swing arm.

Man that really sucks. Glad to hear everone is ok. I had some issues with suzuki what ever you do, do not buy crap on that card no matter how much you need tires or whatever. The suzuki card is nasty and a rip off and they dont care about you or how bad times are. I had to get a personal loan to pay that card off:thumbsdn:

that sucks, could have been alot worse thought. the brake handle on my CRF100 looks like that haha. i think some light sanding will fix that side panel up pretty good.

That ain't so bad. Get a new lever, lube and adjust the cain, and go put a few of your own scratches on it. Then the next time he wants to use your bike just say no. Tighten your belt, sell a kidney, and make the payment without his help.

That's why you just can't lend out the good toys. I have a swingarm in the classifieds if the dent on yours is a problem.

Swingarm should be fine, just don't take a hammer or saw to it

Plastics look fine, just cosmetics, gonna get scratches, inevitable with an S, lube the chain, use the teardrops, put some oil in, start the bike, let it run, see if you see anymore coolant coming out..

That's a wicked brake lever, can replace or try to bend it/cut it to your liking!

Battle scars man, you're good!

But your brother being a dbag like that really sucks, that's pretty screwed up for a family member to do.

I recently had a brake lever that was bent just as bad as that, my uncle took it and heated it up with a torch and said that it moved back into position. after doing this he did it to all of the bent levers on his bikes. He said he could have saved himself some serious $ if only he had figured this trick out 30 years ago... try it

Try and do something nice for family and you get bit every time, sorry to hear about your bike but at least it is still very fixable. lesson learned the hard way:banghead:

Sorry to see and hear about that! I guess you'll know for next time.

Put some DRZ stickers on the swing arms from Forrest to cover up the dents, replace the side panel, bend back or replace the brake lever, adjust and lube chain and you should be back in buisness.🙂

Sorry to hear of the mishaps. The dents and bends are no big deal imo. The chain doesn't look loose at all to me, maybe even a little tight. Suzuki factory manual says to get the back tire off the ground and have between 1.6 to 2 inches of free play, measured under the swingarmm, at the chains tightest spot. I bet you are not at an inch and a half there. Take a look at you axle adjusters. The brake side is on backwards. :D Don't run your chain to tight. 🙂 Good luck with your brother and the bank.

Man that really sucks. Glad to hear everone is ok. I had some issues with suzuki what ever you do, do not buy crap on that card no matter how much you need tires or whatever. The suzuki card is nasty and a rip off and they dont care about you or how bad times are. I had to get a personal loan to pay that card off:thumbsdn:

Yeah the suzuki car bite me in the arse! I bought the gel seat and a helmet on it and sure enough my rate for those purchases went up to 21.9%! Ouch! So now I gotta deal with them on that. They did not want to cooperate with me at all when I was having issues. Calling me a liar and all this nonsense. I'm thinking of doing what you said and it out a loan and get rid of that card. Customer service is garbage!

Well thank you everybody for your knowledge and suggestions. My main concern was that swing arm not knowing if it would start to buckle on me. I'm not really upset over the damage, I mean !@#$ happens. He's just a ruthless person and doesn't think before doing something. What really bothered me is when I found out about the oil and chain condition. My bro treats other peoples stuff like his own and he treats his stuff like crap, just doesn't even care. 🙂 I know that he's done riding my bike.

it is a dirt bike, it needs some scraches and dents, but needs oil also.

Yea, I also think that your bike is fine.

You wont be able to "bend" the brake lever back without heating it up with a torch. The material is now work hardened and if by some miracle it will bend back without breaking off it will be very weak. The torch will anneal the metal and allow you to bend it back without breaking it.

Your brother sounds like a douchebag. Id be ashamed of myself if I borrowed someone elses gear and damaged it.

Kick your bro in the nuts man. Then punch him in that dislocated shoulder. Throw in a few cuss words and you'll feel better in no time.

Mike -