KTM 450SX-F Transmission Problems?

I have always been a kawi guy and have thought of going to ktm. Ktm every year has the sweetest looking bikes and i know tons of extemely fast guys on them. The question i have is about their transmissions. A guy i race with rides an 08 450SX-f. He is kind of an idiot so i don't know how much i believe him, hense the reason for this thread. He bought his 08 brand new last nov-dec and claims he has allready had to have the dealership put 2 transmissions in it. Another kid we race with also has a 250 and 450SX-F. I have not asked him about his bikes but this other guy says he has had tranny problems as well. I figured i would just ask guys that really know these bikes and see what you all have seen. For all i know this guy may be screwing something up with fluid changes or something. Any input would be great. Thanks Guys.

Never even heard about any tranny problems on 450/505 SXF. I´ve had both -07 &-08 bikes.

No problems with my '08 505 transmission other than every now and then I have a heck of a time finding neutral while it is running.

Four KTM's from 2001 to 2008. No transmission problems. Not heard of any either. Did have a Kawasaki 2004 KXF250F with Third gear sliding gear bearing go out first 10 hrs!

Four KTM's from 2001 to 2008. No transmission problems. Not heard of any either. Did have a Kawasaki 2004 KXF250F with Third gear sliding gear bearing go out first 10 hrs!

That's what you get for buying a bike with a POS Suzuki motor!:)

The RMZ/KXF 250s are not known to have the most reliable transmission. If I remember right, the Pro-Circuit team used a full works transmission in their bikes during these years because of reliability issues...

Had 2 ktm 03 450 & 07 450 never had or heard of any trans problems:thumbsup:

No problems with the tranny in my 08 450sx so far. Like eastreich said Its is tough to find neutral sometimes while it is running.

My XC505 hits false neutral between 2-3 and 3-4 quite a bit.

My XC505 hits false neutral between 2-3 and 3-4 quite a bit.

Do you have Tech 8 boots?

No problems with the tranny in my 08 450sx so far. Like eastreich said Its is tough to find neutral sometimes while it is running.

On any dirt bike I would not do that. if your going to stop and kill the engine stop and kill it, then find netural

If your going to stop and let it idle put it in neutral before you stop, your clutch will last a lot longer and your trans will be happier too!

The 450/505SXF 4 speed is a different style trans than the others, the most bullit proof trans KTM has built

'07 450SXF with 100 hours. No tranny problems.

However, I do know a guy who's son just to ride an '07 450SXF and had major tranny problems. That guy's kid rides in the intermediate level so he is much harder on the bike than I will ever be. I know they changed the tranny oil after every race. I think KTM took care of the tranny under warranty but it took months. The kid is on a Honda now.

08 450 SXF, 08 450 XCF, 08 250 SXF - all one year old and ridden often and no tranny issues to date. The con rod did go out on the 250 and KTM covered it under a recall warranty. On the second topend on the 250 due to dealer incompetence! No bike is bullet proof but the Katooms are tough for sure.

the guy probly had to have the tranmition replaced because he wasnt using the clutch i bet..not using the clutch can mess your trany up prty bad

Do you have Tech 8 boots?

I have Tech 3's right now, but now that you mention it, it wasn't as bad with my my F3's.

the guy probly had to have the tranmition replaced because he wasnt using the clutch i bet..not using the clutch can mess your trany up prty bad

Or not... I never use the clutch for anything else than starting and when i lock the rear brake before a very tight corner. I have never had any tranny problems on any of my bikes.

Old wives tale. Smooth riders have no problems with clutchless shifting, the style of trans used in the SXF could care less.

BINGO , Dave ... !:thumbsup:

I have been clutchless shifting for about two months now and as long as you're smooth with it and time your throttle as you do it things go very smoothly. It makes riding pretty easy, especially when standing. As far as trouble finding neutral I try to click into it as I am rolling up to stop, otherwise you sometimes have to roll the bike back and forth a bit to take the pressure off. Turning it off works easy too. As far as staring the 505 in gear it seems to work best when you remember to pull the hot start and no throttle. Usually when I am staring in gear is when I am in a hurry, I stalled on the trail and want to get moving before I get passed so I push the magic button and give it gas because I am trying to go. It can take a bit to start that way but if I remember to relax and lay off the gas, pull the hot start it fires right up even in gear.

I have been clutchless shifting for about two months now.

Been clutchless shifting for 15 years now from way back on my KX60 days!! lol and never a problem with any of my bikes. :thumbsup: So lets just conclude that no bike is 100 percent bullet proof and just because one guy had a problem, doesn't mean all the SXFs will, no riding conditions/riding style/bike is exactly the same. Sometimes things happen, to all brands, and thats just a part of the game sometimes.