Correcting Speedo gearing for XR650L?

Hi Thumpers:

I want to keep my original gauge set and am converting to SM with 17" front wheels. I have seen the threads on adjusting the readings and don't much care for it. For one thing, I use the trip meter for rallys and you can miss a turn if you a much more off than a .2 miles.

There has to be a gear in there that we can replace. The factory probably makes a dozen sizes for various conditions.

Since the bike is still in production, we can probably contact the gauge manufacturer and get some different gears.

By the way, I went to the Touratech rally in Mason County (WA) last month. This is primarily a ride for BMW and KTM "Adventure" types.

The course was laid out with an XR650L. I thought that was pleasantly ironic.

Joe

My guess is that you are going to be out of luck. I don't think that the driven gear come out of the drive piece.

You might try the SM forum if you don't get the answer that you are looking for. Other than that I think you are going to have to use an aftermarket computer/speedo to get what you are looking for.

I took apart the unit. It appears to be from NS Design, PN HP-0276-001. I am guessing this is an Indian company, because that is where I get the Internet hits.

It would take two gears just for the odometer and then something else inside a hub thing with a spring to fix it.

I bet they make another model of the same guage adjusted for 17" or 18" tires. I will put in a question to their website and see if they answer.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I give up. The Trailtech Vapor with the indicator cluster is only $165 and it also has an accurate Tach and oil temp feature included.

You loose weight and gain two very useful features--I can no longer resist.

I will move the original XR650L gauge over to the XR400. It should still be accurate and being street legal, could benefit from the indicators, except the kick stand down indicator.

Case closed. It looks like the Vector option also has a roll-back odometer feature that is almost a necessity for ralleys--a third reason to switch.

joe

OK, I give up. The Trailtech Vapor with the indicator cluster is only $165 and it also has an accurate Tach and oil temp feature included.

You loose weight and gain two very useful features--I can no longer resist.

I will move the original XR650L gauge over to the XR400. It should still be accurate and being street legal, could benefit from the indicators, except the kick stand down indicator.

Case closed. It looks like the Vector option also has a roll-back odometer feature that is almost a necessity for ralleys--a third reason to switch.

joe

I am in your exact boat Joe. You aren't from St. Louis are you? I knew a Joe F there a long time ago.

Anyway, have you investigated the otion for the Vapor with the dashboard? I am wondering how hard it will be to install this unit with the turn signal, kick stand, and neutral lights.

I'd love to get all of those functions on the TT Vapor. The only other issue then is to mount it so that it does not interfere with your ignition. In my case I am going to make an aluminum plate that actually uses the old speedo mouns so it would be slightly off centered, but I could retain my ignition location keeping my steering lock, and I would also be able to not interfere with my steering damper that should be getting installed very soon.