Sign in to follow this  

'06 CR125 radiators vs. '02-04

Regarding radiator guards for '05-'07 CR125, specifically Flatland. I can get '05-07 CR250 guards, and earlier CR125 guards.

'02-'07 125s and 250s share plastics (indicative of identical radiator mounting points on the outside), and others have successfully mounted '05-07 CR250 guards onto the '05-07 CR125 with a little wiggling, but it seems to me that the earlier 3th gen framed 125s could be even better.

I can get the radiator guards I want for '02-03 CR125s and '04 CR125s, but none are available for the '05-'07 CR125s. AFAIK, for '02-'07, the frames are all the same and the plastics are all the same, so all of the radiator mounting points have to be the same, so I have to ask, "How different could they possibly be?"

Anyone have any insight on the differences, if any, between the radiators used on the '02-'07 CR125?

JayC

They are different radiators on the 02-04 and 05 and up CR's. As for the dimensions, like you said, they should be roughly the same as all teh lunting points did not change. The only difference I am aware of on the 05-07 cr is they have extra metal on the out side end extending at a 45 degree angle. I have not had both of the radiators side by side to see any other difference but this is all I can tell from pictures. Also Radiator guards for the 05-07 CR250 should fit the 05-07 CR125 as they are the same part number (radiators) so I do not see why the 250 guards will not fit the 125

They are different radiators on the 02-04 and 05 and up CR's. As for the dimensions, like you said, they should be roughly the same as all teh lunting points did not change. The only difference I am aware of on the 05-07 cr is they have extra metal on the out side end extending at a 45 degree angle. I have not had both of the radiators side by side to see any other difference but this is all I can tell from pictures. Also Radiator guards for the 05-07 CR250 should fit the 05-07 CR125 as they are the same part number (radiators) so I do not see why the 250 guards will not fit the 125

So, if I read you right, the '02-'04 rads don't have the 45 degree wings on the sides? I forgot about the '05-07 125/250 plastic grills being the same part number. Sounds like I should get the 250 guards.

JayC

I don't have any experience with the earlier CR's, but if they share the same plastics, you should be ok, as long as you get the flatlands and not the Devol's. The Devol guards are two pieces, and although they are very stout, they rely on those "wings" on the radiators in order to mount up correctly.

As a side note, I had my first major crash with the CR250 Flatland guards the other day. I was pinned in 2nd and headed over a very slight jump, only enough to get me in the air about half a foot, when I came down the trail curved to the right with a tall enbankment and very loose sand right in front of it. When I realized I needed to turn it was to late so I grabbed the front brake and because of the sand the front end washed out immediately. I was thrown about ten feet and I hit my thigh on the handlebar end on the way out. The bike skidded and started low siding, but then flipped like a lever crashing on to its right side.

Long story short, the rads and gurads both got bent. They weren't bent much, I had to hammer out the guards a bit so they didn't scrape and the radiators themselves were pushed in very slightly. I'll post pics sometime in the next few days.

-iRock

So, if I read you right, the '02-'04 rads don't have the 45 degree wings on the sides? I forgot about the '05-07 125/250 plastic grills being the same part number. Sounds like I should get the 250 guards.

JayC

Correct the 02-04 does NOT have the 45 degree wings. I would go with the 05-07 cr250 guards/braces. Much better cahnce that they will work over the 02-04 specific guards