Sign in to follow this  

125 2t or 250 2t

I cant decide. My original idea was to sell my 250f and get a 125 and mod it up with the left over money, but now I'm thinking about a 250 smoker. I'm 5'11'' and about 144lbs. I'm no racer by any means but would like to ride more track or enter some local races just to get a taste of it. For either the 125 or the 250 I'm lookin at a YZ or an RM. My question for you guys is what do you think is the better choice, will the 250 2t be too much for me to handle and will it feel hievier than my 250f i have now?🙂

no way a 250 2t is going to feel heavier than a 250 4t. I ride a 125 2t, I'm 6'2", about 210lbs, and with a pipe and going up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket, it moves. My neighbor has a 250 4t, same year, same brand. it may be faster, but it is SO easy to ride, it's boring.

I'd venture to say the hit when a 250 2t comes on the pipe is somewhat akin to a 450/465. At your weight, go with the 125.

I do know this.....I test drove a 250 2-stroke and it was my first time on a bike in 25 years - and it had so much power it was annoying (again, I didn't even have time to get used to it - it was a test drive of a used bike on CL) - but it kind of scared me initially, then when I was riding it going through the gears (only went to third as I was on a public street), I honestly got a headache and thought "there is no way I can enjoy this thing" - too powerful and I could never see myself "ripping" through it or even enjoying the bike. So, I got a 125 - which fits me perfect. I'm itching to get a 250 Zook because they're done making them just so I have a move-up bike that is new but still undecided - and, still curious if two-stroke was the wise "purchase" decision because it seems it's a 4-stroke world.

Thats what I was afraid of. The only reason I wanted a 250 2t is because I'm looking for a bike that will last me a while, something I could grow into. If I could tame the power down with a fly wheel weight or higher gearing would it be worth while? I found a killer deal in the local classifieds. The guy is selling a pretty much brand new 04 RM250 with two sets of gear and he is giving away a 04 RM125 with it but it doesnt have a motor or wheels.

If it's a great deal - go for it and RESPECT the beast. There is little you can do to make these bikes slow other than:

-taller gearing

-richer jetting (smoother power but gives spooge)

-G2 throttle cam

-flywheel weight

-different pipe to move the power around

-get away from a Wiseco piston (lighter and revs faster) and move towards a cast OEM which will rev slightly less quicker.

Two other threads here covered your other questions

1. feel heavier than a 250F? not a chance

2. based on size get a 125 or 250? 125 but you are pretty tall. you're also 16 and will grow.

Get it - especially if it's cheaper than a 125 of comparable abuse.

• Like 1

I cant decide. My original idea was to sell my 250f and get a 125 and mod it up with the left over money, but now I'm thinking about a 250 smoker. I'm 5'11'' and about 144lbs. I'm no racer by any means but would like to ride more track or enter some local races just to get a taste of it. For either the 125 or the 250 I'm lookin at a YZ or an RM. My question for you guys is what do you think is the better choice, will the 250 2t be too much for me to handle and will it feel hievier than my 250f i have now?🙂

Im 6'3" and my primary ride is a 2003 rm125. I absolutely love it. But I also love clutching, shifting, and clutching and shifting etc etc. If you are used to the 4t and want to have a versitile bike then a 250 would be good. Although, a good running 125 gives up nothing to a 250f if you can keep it singing. your small and a good 125 should rocket you over anything you want. A 125 can be had for cheaper too:excuseme:

Get the 250, either one will be a great bike(yz or rm). Maybe put a flywheel weight, then learn throttle control. Don't really need to use 1st gear ever, too much wheel spin, use 2nd with a good dose of clutch work. If you learn to use the clutch properly, you can get just as good traction with the 250 2t than any other bike.

if your learning on the track, go 125 first. it will carry you just fine. if you go yz u can add the 144 kit later just my 2 cents.

I say 250. I'm 5'7" and 130 lbs and I ride a YZ250. Just respect it and you will become used to the power.

No the 250 2t wont be too much you will like the extra power just take your time and get use to the power. Also the rm250 is one of the best handling bike out thier they have a soft suspension and they are great on handling I know if you gear it down for more bottom end it is one heck of a bike.