Sign in to follow this  

black rims or silver

my front rim is bent and has a little crack in it i was thinking of buying new rims. i have on the stock exceel silver rims and i really like the look of the black rims. i do all my riding in the desert so is that black rim going to get destroyed or is it knot that bad...thanks

The black rims will get pitted pretty quickly in the desert. I have about 90 hours on my bike now and both rims are in pretty bad shape.

If I were getting new rims, I would not get black, but it's entirely a personal preference. They're still round, which is all that really matters.

The black rims hold up pretty good but when you are changing tires is a different story.

The black rims hold up pretty good but when you are changing tires is a different story.

I agree, I have wanted black rims for a while but I go through back tires like candy and have seen how bad my silver rims get gouged when changing tires.

it sounds like the tire change tears the tire up more than the wear and tear of ridding thank for the help guys

it sounds like the tire change tears the tire up more than the wear and tear of ridding thank for the help guys

Not really, you need to use those tire spoons with the right technique and you can save your rims. But, you can slip up from time to time, especially when your in a hurry.

get your silver rims anno'd orange, and have them acid washed. will look totally sick, and no one will have them. or, you can get them checkered black/orange... half black half orange on one side and reverse on the other so its

black orange

orange black

and anodizing isn't too expensive

I love the way black rims look, I almost put them on my SMR. I say almost because I have so many little (and not so little) scratches and dings in my silver rims from normal riding/maintenance, that if they were black, I'd cry every time I cleaned them.

But then again, my chain likes to grind my back tire into fine dust that ends up all over my back rim. With blacks, I wouldn't have to clean it as often...🙂

I love the way black rims look, I almost put them on my SMR. I say almost because I have so many little (and not so little) scratches and dings in my silver rims from normal riding/maintenance, that if they were black, I'd cry every time I cleaned them.

But then again, my chain likes to grind my back tire into fine dust that ends up all over my back rim. With blacks, I wouldn't have to clean it as often...🙂

black rims look awesome when the bike is clean... but when there is a bit of dirt on them, they don't look so hot.

Black silver gold orange blue.................................. Really what is the difference when there is an inch of mud covering the whole bike 🙂

Just kidding guys, I think black rims look aswome when new and clean. I have an 04 450 so all is silver, my dealer still has a leftover 07 400 with the black frame, forks, and rims and it screams for me to buy it everytime I walk by:goofy:

black rims look the best but silver are most practicle. because of this one of my team members has had his powder coated black,then had the flat edge polished back to silver. looks awesome and should last well when tyre changing etc.

Check out my bike in the Best Looking KTM thread at the top of the colum, its on page 54, Its all personal preference, but I'm not into the black rim stuff and I didn't want just plain old silver, so I had them anodized orange. It cost me $75.00 for the rims, handle bars, sproket, Axle blocks & front axle.

Check out my bike in the Best Looking KTM thread at the top of the colum, its on page 54, Its all personal preference, but I'm not into the black rim stuff and I didn't want just plain old silver, so I had them anodized orange. It cost me $75.00 for the rims, handle bars, sproket, Axle blocks & front axle.

that looks good 🙂:D