Sign in to follow this  

xr650l fork brace

has anybody tried the front fork braces, what is your opinion of them? are they a waste?

has anybody tried the front fork braces, what is your opinion of them? are they a waste?

Money WELL spent:thumbsup:

Well worth the 80 bucks I spent. Makes the front end a little more stiff. Seemed kind of sloppy before, a lot of flex.

The fork brace is a great mod unless you do a lot of rocky trail riding/jumping or are a big dude. It is obviously way better than stock, but doesn't resolve suspension issues, which I would say is the biggest issue with the stock front end other than the flex. A lot of guys end up going with the USD conversion, but that runs anywhere from $300 -$600 depending on what you can find on ebay.

I have enough mods and money into my bike that the front end is now the weakest link.I have been waffling on this same issue now that I am on my second XR650L... another fork brace or go all out and upside down? I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend and how well the fork brace will resolve your issues.

The fork brace is a great mod unless you do a lot of rocky trail riding/jumping or are a big dude. It is obviously way better than stock, but doesn't resolve suspension issues, which I would say is the biggest issue with the stock front end other than the flex. A lot of guys end up going with the USD conversion, but that runs anywhere from $300 -$600 depending on what you can find on ebay.

I have enough mods and money into my bike that the front end is now the weakest link.I have been waffling on this same issue now that I am on my second XR650L... another fork brace or go all out and upside down? I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend and how well the fork brace will resolve your issues.

Just depends on what you ride too. Desert riding on an L will be best with a set of worked over R forks.

Anything other than that, go USD.

Cool factor points definitly go to USD.

Maybe, but a close second is the stock forks with a brace, mud skins, and the rock shields. 🙂

I like my fork brace. :D

Just depends on what you ride too. Desert riding on an L will be best with a set of worked over R forks.

Maybe, but a close second is the stock forks with a brace, mud skins, and the rock shields. 🙂

I like my fork brace. :ride:

soooooooooooo...

so u gunna post a pic of it???:worthy:

:D

P.S. so where's these L's with R forks???

What mods are needed to put the R forks on the L?

That's what I want to know too. Do the R forks need a brace also? 🙂

Nope.

Well, alright. 🙂

bike-2.jpg

Is that a 600R? Are they the same forks as the 650L?

soooooooooooo...

so u gunna post a pic of it???:worthy:

🙂

P.S. so where's these L's with R forks???

That's what I want to know too. Do the R forks need a brace also? :D
Nope.

Well, alright. :ride:

bike-2.jpg

No mods needed. Just swap them out. Like I said, the advantage is tuneability of the R forks. They contain a rebound rod.

As far as a brace, the guys I have ridden with, I don't recall any R's with braces. Not to say it wont have some slight advantage.

HT, those are the stock forks, correct?

No mods needed. Just swap them out. Like I said, the advantage is tuneability of the R forks. They contain a rebound rod.

...r u sure Rich??? ...which triple trees??? ...wut about the front wheel??? ...speedo??? ...brake caliper & rotor???

i can't recall a single post showing this swap and the requirements?!?

🙂

HT, those are the stock forks, correct?

As far as I know they are. You've seen all the mystery mods I keep finding. 🙂

...r u sure Rich??? ...which triple trees??? ...wut about the front wheel??? ...speedo??? ...brake caliper & rotor???

i can't recall a single post showing this swap and the requirements?!?

🙂

This is all info I received from BWB63 at night by the campfire. Don't remember much else from that night.:D

This is all info I received from BWB63 at night by the campfire. Don't remember much else from that night.:banghead:

Funny, that's what he said! ha hah ah hah hah a hah ahem

In all seriousness, though, there are so many options for the front end, it just depends on how much grief you are willing to put yourself through. I thought I was going to remain stock, and now have decided to mount the entire front off a CR125 (wheel, forks, axle, etc) If it works, it should be great, if it doesn't, I am only out about $40 more than the fork brace. Of course I will need to add in shop time to fit the bearing/race etc etc.

Might get ugly. I will post lots of details and pics when I get to it..

Oh, and I got the CRF450X battery in hand. I have XR600 side covers and an oversized full header/exhaust system on the way too.

Man, I need a second job. And a third.

By the time I get done with all this, I will have probably $4500 in to this bike. SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!! :banghead:🙂:worthy::banghead: :banghead: :D:ride:

I found the fork brace was an excellent mod. Getting out of muddy ruts is a lot easier with a brace.

I found the fork brace was an excellent mod. Getting out of muddy ruts is a lot easier with a brace.

It can be a detriment also.

I was playing in some thick, tacky mud awhile back. The mud built up enough and locked the front tire. Down I went into the gooo.🙂