Sign in to follow this  

New bike Shopping. Some unbiased opinions please.

Ok gentlemen here goes. 2 ACL reconstructions on each knee and a left ankle reconstruction. Last knee was done just 14 weeks ago and to keep everyone happy I sold my last bike (YZ426). Previous bikes Ive owned and loved are as follows: a few CR500's, 2 KX500's, IT465, XL500. I have ridden Dessert, MX, enduro and Hare scrambles and I love Big bore bikes. I just cant stop so Im early in my shopping again and educating myself now. My future riding will be trails, Enduro and or hare scramble a few times a year,maybe an MX track here and there, maybe weekend long dual sport, rides mostly dirt. Im looking for something I can plate legally , yet I plan to spend 90% in the dirt and the 10% of street will be around town and rarely above 55 mph for short stints.

If I could plate and street legal a 2 stroke 500 I wouldnt be on here but I cant and in Florida where I live; DMV look to the bikes VIN and if it originally was termed off road use only you cant register it. Have seen a guy with an XR650R converted and plated in Tenn and couldnt register in Florida.

So recommendations please. To be honest I have looked at the XR650L I dont think it has the dirt capabilities I was and Im accustomed to getting some air with my riding and rarely turning away from a table top or a double..Im too old for triples now or my balls run away one of the two. Looked at the DR650 and I just dont think the bike would do even as well as the XR650L; I also have considered the KTM 530 which is a gorgeous bike and very capable to do everything I want...From my reading they dont have the bullet proof reliability of something like the Dr400 or the Xr650 etc and those bikes are quite expensive....real expensive. I can afford it, but the priciple of it ruins me spending 8K+ for a bike I will beat in the dirt I just have a problem with it.

I have never been a Suzuki fan at all to be honest but Im considering it. Im worried if I go for a Dr-Z400S power will not be up to my expectations...and by the time I go with a big bore kit, Cams and all the mods I would have bought the KTM..but I dont know. The die hard KTM guys I know say the DR400 is a good bike but claim it will be down on power by about 30%. Have been told by one guy he rides with a DR400 rider who has the big bore kit, new cams, FCR carb and claims he runs just as fast as his 525 and it more relaible than his KTM, but he has exceeded the price of the KTM after the parts mentioned plus new pipe and tires. Please any input and opinions are appretiated.

I would say go with the drz over the ktm, because after you do the bbk, and everything the price may be more than the ktm, but would you rather the ktm catch up to you in the long run with it being way more maintenance, that is the question.

well, here's my 2 cents ... "not one to run away from a double or tabletop" tells me you need to shell out the $$$ for an exotic DS bike, or I don't think you'll be happy. You , my friend, want a plated dirt bike, and that is what KTM and Husky are building.

btw: I am a 650l owner and it does jump, but the landings are rough, lol.

You , my friend, want a plated dirt bike, and that is what KTM and Husky are building.

I AGREE! I thought the DR-Z400S was basically a dirt bike made street legal? Isnt it?

In your case, sounds like I would go with the KTM. Sounds like more your style, unless your ready to calm down after the surgeries. Don't get me wrong, I love my 07 drz400S to death, but at times i do miss my cr250r. My drz isn't near as fast, but on trails i have it geared down, and still hardly get out of 2nd, and it climbs like a tank. I've even taken it on 4x4 rock crawling areas and it sucks it up like a champ. If you plan on jumping at all, I'd get stiffer suspension. I had an incident at pismo and went off a dune, bottomed out the suspension, bashed in my white bros exhaust when it hit the caliper, and i knocked myself out on the handle bars. If i woulda been on my cr250r, woulda landed it without crashing. People make it sound like the KTM is going to last 6 months then blow up. While it may not be quite as reliable at the DRZ, I'm sure its not as bad as ppl make it out to be.

To make a long story short, its all about what you want out of a bike. I did a few mods (full FMF exhaust with powercore 4, powerbomb, 3x3, jet kit) and it still gets up and goes pretty good. and for the money, you can't beat the DRZ.

I AGREE! I thought the DR-Z400S was basically a dirt bike made street legal? Isnt it?

No the 400S is more of a dual sport, the KTM 530 EXC and the new husky's are more dirt bikes with plates. I have a neighbor that just got a new husky and he doesn't even like to ride it on the road. We usually ride to our riding spots, and he'll truck his bike up there.

The DRZ is a dualsport. It does not vibrate as bad as the Husky or KTM, it does not need as much maintenance to keep running as the other two. The ktm and Husky are faster stock and more capable stock. But you can spend $3k on the DRZ and have something that is just as fast and almost as capable(the weight of the DRZ is the only thing that hurt it performance wise), and it will still be low maintenance. But the KTM and the Husky are sweet bikes in their own right. They have a look and feel that the DRZ lacks. Many have said the Husky and KTM are like hot fashion models and the DRZ is the average looking girl with the great personality that will do all those things you want to do without complaining.

I have a 2-stroke KTM 440 and a DRZ400SM, the KTM will put a huge grin on my face when I ride it, but the DRZ gets ridden more often. It's just more practical.

You could buy a used DRZ to try for awhile, if it doesn't work out you can sell it & lose next to nothing.

Don't mod the engine beyond airbox & jets unless you are certain you want to keep it.

By the time you have a DRZ motor & suspension up to your standards, you will have spent more time & money than you expect. (I've doubled the initial price of a new bike)

A Husky or a pumpkin will probably suit you better.

My future riding will be trails, Enduro and or hare scramble a few times a year,maybe an MX track here and there, maybe weekend long dual sport, rides mostly dirt. Im looking for something I can plate legally , yet I plan to spend 90% in the dirt and the 10% of street will be around town and rarely above 55 mph for short stints.

Maybe you should just forgo the 10% street and buy an off-road bike and a trailer? Indeed, if you can afford a KTM, you could get an off-road bike, a trailer, and an older DR650 for the street.

Dual-sport motorcycles are a compromise. They'll never match a "single-sport" bike.

I wanted to get a KTM, but it was expensive, and had frequent maintenance intervals. Then, I friend of mine was selling his street legal 2001 DRZ400E, which I bought, and never looked back. It has sufficient power, and can do anything I want it to do, and its not too heavy either.

Ok gentlemen here goes. 2 ACL reconstructions on each knee and a left ankle reconstruction. Last knee was done just 14 weeks ago and to keep everyone happy I sold my last bike (YZ426). Previous bikes Ive owned and loved are as follows: a few CR500's, 2 KX500's, IT465, XL500. I have ridden Dessert, MX, enduro and Hare scrambles and I love Big bore bikes. I just cant stop so Im early in my shopping again and educating myself now. My future riding will be trails, Enduro and or hare scramble a few times a year,maybe an MX track here and there, maybe weekend long dual sport, rides mostly dirt. Im looking for something I can plate legally , yet I plan to spend 90% in the dirt and the 10% of street will be around town and rarely above 55 mph for short stints..........

this is a tough one as you say 90/10.....but you also throw in "maybe long weekend dual sport":eek:

IF......if, you're gonna' do this, your 90/10 is not correct because your street/road miles will turn into WAY-MORE than your off-road miles.

BUT

If you really want a 90/10, the street legal KTMs (plated dirt bikes that connect-the-trails) are gonna' be your most likely answer for Florida Registration.

IF......if, you really want the dual-purpose mix and not @ 90/10, maybe something like the Husky 610 is your real answer:worthy:

No, it's not a lightweight....and No it's not a racebike, but it does quite well in the dirt AND it can really rack up the road miles comfortably.

Maybe you can find a used one, and then pick up a real race bike as your second ride for those times when you just gotta' have the power at your right wrist twist:crazy:

HappyRiding !!

🙂:D

Its slow and heavy... you would never be happy with the DRZ unless you spent several thousand on upgrades.