Sign in to follow this  

How to remove Yosh tailcap??

I'm trying to remove the tailcap on my RS-3 to install an insert. I've gotten the screws out, and have tapped the barely protruding edge of the tailcap with a brass punch hard enough to deform the aluminum, but it won't budge.

Is there something else holding the tailcap on?

I'm trying to remove the tailcap on my RS-3 to install an insert. I've gotten the screws out, and have tapped the barely protruding edge of the tailcap with a brass punch hard enough to deform the aluminum, but it won't budge.

Is there something else holding the tailcap on?

On mine ,it's only the 3 bolts keeping the tailcap in place

How old is your pipe? On mine it's just the three screws that are on the end, not the ones that are around the outer circumference of the canister.

No idea of the age of the pipe, but it has 4 screws around the perimeter of the can.

Also, I don't see how the insert could possibly work. The tailpipe goes forward about 2", and then appears to slip inside a perforated pipe. The flange on the insert is larger than the I.D. of the tailpipe, so it would have to go forward, but the perforated pipe is there. Any ideas on this?

you should have 3 screws that screw in the end. 4 screw around the outside edge. The 3 screws allow you to remove the end cap.

If you need to pull the packing and everything, disconntect the pipe from the body. Remove the springs and the can removes from the pipe. Then you can easily empty the can out. Alot easier then pulling.

This must be a really old pipe. There are only the 4 screws around the outer perimeter of the pipe, and no screws on the very end.

Edited (smacking myself on forehead): The description of the insert says "2 piece endcaps". I didn't even look at my endcap before I ordered the insert.

No idea of the age of the pipe, but it has 4 screws around the perimeter of the can.

Also, I don't see how the insert could possibly work. The tailpipe goes forward about 2", and then appears to slip inside a perforated pipe. The flange on the insert is larger than the I.D. of the tailpipe, so it would have to go forward, but the perforated pipe is there. Any ideas on this?

Could be that the gasket behind endcap is missing,and made it get stuck ?

Went just outside to check on mine,and it came off in 15 secs.

The reason for the flange of insert is so large,is that it's only held in place between the endcap and the muffler by pressure.

Just received an email back from Yoshimura. The insert will not work with my endcap, but I can purchase a two piece cap for $90.

I don't think I'll be dropping that kind of cash for a hand sized piece of aluminum. Guess I'll be putting a stock muffler on it. This thing is obscenely loud.