Sign in to follow this  

04 250x problems

Has anybody heard anyhing about the 04's having any valve problems or any recalss?? i kind of need to kno because im interested in an 04.

what do u think of this bike?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/786308442.html

I haven't run into this problem yet on my '04 (it has REALLY low hours), the 250Xs are known for having crappy titanium valves. You'll want to inspect the valve clearances from time to time and eventually replace them with stainless steel. It's not a huge deal, just something to keep in mind.

I'm sure there are other people on here who can explain their experiences better. It's a well-known occurrence.

do u know how much it would cost to replace the valves with stainless steel. and how long the stainless would last?

do u know how much it would cost to replace the valves with stainless steel. and how long the stainless would last?

I don't know how much it would cost to have it done, but I thought I saw somewhere that the valves were about $150 and a lot of people do it themselves. I would imagine that the stainless steel ones last as long as any regular valves would on a typical bike. It's just the crappy ones that the 250X comes with that are the problem.

this has been discussed many time at great length....From what I picked up 2004 did have crappy valves....so did 2005 and some debate weather or not they started to get better after 2006. Not all the bikes had valve problems...My personal bike, 2004 250x, went about 150 or so hours on the stock valves. I have since replaced them with stainless steel valves and am running fine. Alot has to do with the way the bike is ridden and or how the bike was treated.

• Like 1

Yes i had all kinds of valve issues with my 06. I keep hearing people say it has to do with the way the bike is ridden. Will someone explain to me how the hell the bike is supposed to be ridden?

it seems to be hit or miss, my sons '04 has had no problems but others have problems rather quickly, if it starts well cold and hot then i would not sweat it for $3,000

Yes i had all kinds of valve issues with my 06. I keep hearing people say it has to do with the way the bike is ridden. Will someone explain to me how the hell the bike is supposed to be ridden?

It has nothing to do with the way you ride the bike. It sounds like aftermarket valves solve the problem.

I agree with you little-big. It's just that I've heard several people say it's the way it's ridden and I was wondering if there was some secret way to ride a 250X...SS valves did fix the issues on mine.

How the bike is ridden can be a factor. If you ride the bike hard, keeping the revs high, the valves move faster and the springs can develope this "harmonic" vibes that leads to valve float. If you ride staying in the mid part of the rpm range there is less stress on the valve train.

On the other hand, the failures that occur at very low hours seems to be related to poor valve guide to valve seat tolerances. Some of them are not cut square to each other.

I am no expert, but have developed these opinions from much reading and the threads on this forum.

Ride it with a properly sealed air filter!

If you rplace the valve's you should also replace the seats, or at the very least you must have the seats lapped to match the valves, if you don't know what you are doing it's best to pay someone who does.