Sign in to follow this  

2005 Rmz 250, how do i know when its time to check valves?

Hey guys, new to the forum. I was wondering if there is any step by step info on here for a newbie to check the valves and shim them if needed. Just bought a used Rmz seems to be in great shape. IS there any signs that could tell me the valves need adjustment? i am not sure what the engine is supposed to sound like. thanks

aaron

Your bike will be hard to start hot at first, then it will get harder and harder to start until it doesnt start at all. Low compression and a general loss in power are also signs. There are many more symptoms but these are the ones that I find occur the most. The left intake is usually the first one out of spec. have fun:thumbsup:

I havent had to deal with it yet mine have stayed in spec. But when valves get worn you have to put larger shims in them right? or smaller? or does it go either way?

I havent had to deal with it yet mine have stayed in spec. But when valves get worn you have to put larger shims in them right? or smaller? or does it go either way?

Smaller shims as they get tighter

my valves r out of spec atm n i was wonderin if ne1 no's how to fix that without havin 2 take it to the shop??🙂

my valves r out of spec atm n i was wonderin if ne1 no's how to fix that without havin 2 take it to the shop??🙂

You need to shim your valves or replace them depending on how many times they've been shimmed before. What year RM-Z do u have?

remove the top part of the cam journals, then what ever valve it is that needs to be shimed take the tappet, bucket, cap whatever you want to call it off (this is located on top of the valve itself) and most of the time the shim sticks under the tappet so if you dont see it on the valve check there. when you put in the right size shim make sure you put some oil on it. I would recomend getting a manual if you dont have one because its very important to torque everything on right and it will tell you how to make sure your timing is right.