Sign in to follow this  

07 KTM 690 SM - Issues?

I have located a leftover 690 SM. It seems like a fair price - $7500. Does this bike have any issues that I should be aware of. Like fuel injection glitches or any thing else you might have experienced? I currently ride an Suzuki SV 650. Has anyone ridden both bikes that could give me a compairison? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Slink

PS - To buy or not to buy.........That is the question.

A new 690 sm 07' for $7500, I paid $9800 out the door for my 08' 690smr which was a great price. The KTM is a monster compared to the suzuki. That bike might have a carb but I could be wrong which is no big deal. For the price, and the bike is new I would grab it, you cant lose. Good luck to you and enjoy!!!!

6pakatak,

Thanks for your input. I bought the bike and so far I really like it.

I'm having trouble finding the Motorex Cross Power 4T 10w/60, I guess I will just order a case. It seems a little odd to me that the KTM dealers don't stock the oil that KTM strongly recommends. Other than that small inconvenience, after a little over a little over 500 miles on the bike, I think it's going to be all I hoped it would be. I'll keep you updated as I put more miles on the bike.

I would also like to say that I bought the bike at Champion Honda in North Charleston, SC. I would like to thank them for making it a pleasant purchase. Lou, Jason and Randy really went the extra mile and spent a lot of time answering all of my questions. If they grew tired of me, they certainly didn't show it. It's nice to deal with a shop that actually has knowledgeable employees.

Slink

Wait to you see the price of the oil, as much as $15 a quart, but you should only use the Motorex oil in that bike. The bike also takes not one but two oil filters.Also when you order the oil get the Motorex chain lube, its the best there is.

Good Luck and safe riding!!!!

Bill S

Yes the oil is costly. I just ordered 4 liters on Monday. I would like to try the Motorex chain lube,but when I called the shop I found out that Motorex makes 2 different kinds. Which one are you using? I haven't found a chain lube that I really like yet, so I am eager to give the Motorex a try.

Thanks again for your input.

Slink

You want to use the Motorex 622 Strong,put it on when your finished terrorizing the neighborhood with the beast. It will stay on and not come off.

Keep in touch, I can tell you a lot.

Bill S

P.S.

Keep an eye on chain stretch in the beginning

B S

You guys know how huch power (hp/tq) they put out? I am looking to pick a a SM myself, thanks. Slink....ENJOY!

My 08' KTM 690SMR,63hp/48tq, however, changed the exhaust ( biggggg weight difference) and remap added 20% more hp. With a final weight of about 315lbs and 75hp holy shit let me tell you HOLD ON. I just added Leo Vince carbon fiber exhaust and remap and put it on the dyno. Night and day difference

6pakatak thanks! Hey... you just sold a KTM690! I hope you have a dealers license lol. Oh, Leo owes you some bucks too. I have an 04 Aprilia RSV 1000 Factory and was looking to pick up another bike and this thing sounds like a blast. Thanks again.

I've just done the same thing John. I have a 07 Tuono and just picked up the 08 Duke 690.

I'm wondering if a map is available for it. People have mentioned an Akra pipe for it, but I haven't seen it yet, and yes I heard, SPENDY.

I could use that extra 20% power on my Duke!

Any info anyone?

BTW I LOVE my new Duke... 👍

O.K. Max, my friend Pete was over yesterday with his new Duke, now his brother owns the KTM dealership where I bought my bike and he also works there so he must know something. Now he told me that an exhaust is not available yet for the 690 Duke, I'm sure mapping is because its basically the same motor as my SMR but I'm not positive. I told him that there's a guy I work with that owns a Buell with the same problem, but he found some guy who's going to split his stock can, redo the inside and put dual exhaust ports in it for $250. If you like I'll get his number for you and you can speak to him yourself.

Good luck and safe riding with the new bike Max it's a beauty.

Bill S

With 600 miles on my 690 SM the front brakes have started squaling, not loud but enough to be annoying. It 0ccurs at the end of braking the last 10 yards or so of stopping, Anyone else having this problem?

Other than that I am loving this bike. It goes in for the first service in 3 days , so maybe they can fix the brakes.

I took the bike on its first spirited ride last night and I am really impressed with the way this bike handles in the curves. I am looking forward to getting it broke in so I dont have to watch the tach so much while ridding. Just a note the brakes did not start making this noise untill after the ride, and I did get on them pretty hard.

Thanks,

Slink

Thanks 6pak. I'll wait until a proper aftermarket pipe is available.

Hey Max I guess my friend Pete was wrong because I saw an awesome GPR race exhaust on ebay for your bike, one thing you have to order it from Italy. Check it out, maybe its worth it to you.

Bill

Hey Max I guess my friend Pete was wrong because I saw an awesome GPR race exhaust on ebay for your bike, one thing you have to order it from Italy. Check it out, maybe its worth it to you.

Bill

Looks ok Bill. I am hoping for an OEM "breadbox" style of aftermarket exhaust.

These round/oval dirtbike style exhausts don't appeal to me at this time.

I am patient on upgrades for my Duke... 👍

With 600 miles on my 690 SM the front brakes have started squaling, not loud but enough to be annoying. It 0ccurs at the end of braking the last 10 yards or so of stopping, Anyone else having this problem?

Slink

i switched to a softer organic compound brake pad-galfer green--stops even better, totally quiet but lasts 10k miles instead of 20 or whatever---worth the trade off to me cuz i cant stand any kind of squeal,,,takes like 2 minutes to switch

http://cyclebrakes.com/html/galfer_brake_pads.html

i switched to a softer organic compound brake pad-galfer green--stops even better, totally quiet but lasts 10k miles instead of 20 or whatever---worth the trade off to me cuz i cant stand any kind of squeal,,,takes like 2 minutes to switch

http://cyclebrakes.com/html/galfer_brake_pads.html

Thanks,

Thats the kind of info I have been looking for.

Slink

I just picked one up with 580 miles for 6800. It was in showroom condition. I'm truly stoked about what I paid for it, knowing that there usually about 10 k out the door in Cali. I read about some of the bikes false-neutraling between 5th and 6th before buying the bike, but I wasn't concerned since the one I picked up is still under warranty, which is a good thing since my 690 hits a false neutral between 5th and 6th and is now being fixed. Hopefully it will be sorted out and KTM will be nice.

Other than the glitch I love the bike. The motor pulls so amazingly. It's deceptively fast, it truly is. So much more fun to ride than any other street bike I've ridden or owned. One thing, the steering is very nervous at 75-plus mph. A stabilizer would cure that, but so far I haven't seen one that'll fit the 690 supermoto. I'm also waiting for a single-sided aftermarket exhaust system.