Sign in to follow this  

anyone ever ride with a big backpack?

Thinking about a packing up for a weekend trip 1 1/2 hour on slab at 65 to 70 then trails and camping. My pack is a hiking internal frame so tent and sleeping bag are all inside. Trying to come up with a sissy bar type set up so I can lean back a little on the highway. I'm sure I can handle the weight but I know I'm not the first to attempt this. Anyone have any tips?

Thinking about a packing up for a weekend trip 1 1/2 hour on slab at 65 to 70 then trails and camping. My pack is a hiking internal frame so tent and sleeping bag are all inside. Trying to come up with a sissy bar type set up so I can lean back a little on the highway. I'm sure I can handle the weight but I know I'm not the first to attempt this. Anyone have any tips?

I tried that type of pack. It can be uncomfy on the highway, depending how high you have it set on your back.

Put the weight on the bike, not your back. You will not arrive at your destination exhausted and sore.

The best bet is a rear fender rack and something like Wolfman bags.

With my set up, I can lean back on the main bag and just kick back for the highway miles.

whats with these political avatars...

sorry offtopic

I have considered doing this many times, but have yet to try. I have a Lowe Alpine 6400ci/105L internal frame pack that is fairly soft just about everywhere. It's currently set up for walking, but I would probably loosen/raise the shoulder belts mounts to allow the pack to rest on the saddle if needed. My packs seem to rest on the ground when I sit down anyway.

whats with these political avatars...

sorry offtopic

It's election season, we're all having a little fun 🙂:D

Most of my long ride buddies and I use bigger packs while riding and store our clothes, water, trail snacks, tools, rain gear and misc. other things needed for 5 days. The long rides are 1000 + miles and we have never used chase vehicles so everything needed must fit in the pack or on the bike somewhere. We spend the night in hotels so camping gear isn't needed.

I find while sitting that my backpack can rest on my rear fender bag and take the weight off my shoulders. The first hour usually takes a little adjusting to with a fat back pack on, but after a little while it's not bad. If carrying extra fuel we would normally stop within the first 50 miles and empty the fuel into our tanks. After dumping the extra fuel the pack feels like you have nothing but air in there.

I have tried my pack that carries the sleeping bag in the bottom.When i ride with it on the bike I have to put the bag on the front on the bars to keep the pack out of the sky.

I have tried my pack that carries the sleeping bag in the bottom.When i ride with it on the bike I have to put the bag on the front on the bars to keep the pack out of the sky.

That's really the problem with full size backpacks. They are just too big in the vertical dimension. You need to put some stuff like a bag and a tent on the bike and use a smaller pack.