Sign in to follow this  

too fat for yz250f?

hey i just recentl bought a 2008 yz250f and have been taking it to the mx track i just returned to racing after a 2 year break. so my dilemma is that i find that i am finding it rough to clear 60 to 70 ft doubles without being in 5th gear with a good run to it so it makes hitting them out of corners impossible i weight 180lbs what could i do to help this or should i just suck it up and go on a diet?

You deffinatley arent too big for the bike. I've seen guys upwards of 200lbs lugging a 250f around the track with ease. Maybe its your form off the lip or technique. If you feel like you need more power check out a new exhaust or cams. Pro Circuits Ti-4 and T-4 systems focus more of the power into the upper rpm ranges so you could take stuff in a lower gear. If it already isnt, having the suspension set-up for your weight wouldnt be a bad idea either.

your not too fat. im 220lbs and i have a 05rmz250 and its got no problem pulling my fat arse around.lol

hey i just recentl bought a 2008 yz250f and have been taking it to the mx track i just returned to racing after a 2 year break. so my dilemma is that i find that i am finding it rough to clear 60 to 70 ft doubles without being in 5th gear with a good run to it so it makes hitting them out of corners impossible i weight 180lbs what could i do to help this or should i just suck it up and go on a diet?

If your not clearing doubles, w/o a good run, you must increase your corner speed. I just picked up the same bike, and will be changing the rear sprocket. The reference to the 60/70 foot double is hard to determine w/o knowing the corner and the run up, but you aren't too fat.

If your not clearing doubles, w/o a good run, you must increase your corner speed. I just picked up the same bike, and will be changing the rear sprocket. The reference to the 60/70 foot double is hard to determine w/o knowing the corner and the run up, but you aren't too fat.

what sprocket will you be running my friend said that i should go up 1 or 2 teeth in the rear to help solve the problem?

what sprocket will you be running my friend said that i should go up 1 or 2 teeth in the rear to help solve the problem?

This is a fine balance between making 5th usable as well as having tractable power. You may have to try a couple of sprockets, and diff. tracks may require diff. sprockets.

hey, your not too fat, but losing weight isn't a bad idea, it will make you faster. but your bike has the power to push you no problem, with some minor alterations that is

Your not too heavy I have a 08 yz250f also and weigh 210 and get over 60-70' tables with no problems even ones right out of a turn. when I first got on 250f's 4 years ago I was 190 and was a good weight. I actually weighed 220 a few weeks ago. but I am on a diet and if I could get to 180 it would be perfect for the 250. I run stock gearing. If you cant do the jumps its not the bike it is you. I used to do the same thing when I could not do an obsticle it was always the bike. finally figured out many years ago I just sucked. I did alot of practiceing and now if I cant do something well its still me. You should be able to do 60-70' tables out of corners in 3rd gear.

Your not too heavy I have a 08 yz250f also and weigh 210 and get over 60-70' tables with no problems even ones right out of a turn. when I first got on 250f's 4 years ago I was 190 and was a good weight. I actually weighed 220 a few weeks ago. but I am on a diet and if I could get to 180 it would be perfect for the 250. I run stock gearing. If you cant do the jumps its not the bike it is you. I used to do the same thing when I could not do an obsticle it was always the bike. finally figured out many years ago I just sucked. I did alot of practiceing and now if I cant do something well its still me. You should be able to do 60-70' tables out of corners in 3rd gear.

cool thanks i will work on my technique a little more than. thank you all for the feedback it gives me a lot more confidence in my 250f.

You should be able to do 60-70' tables out of corners in 3rd gear.

I'm 185# on the same bike, also a returning rider after 25 years off. What I'm learning is that you have to rev a 250F way more than I thought. Try hitting the jumps in 3rd gear. Twist it wide open on the approach and hold it there off the face. Don't forget to be leaning further foward than you are when you jump with high speed low revs (e.g. 4th and 5th). Oh, and don't forget to land with the gas on because at high revs there's a lot more engine braking which will throw you forward.

Here's an excerpt from a Transworld MX article written in 2001 when the YZ250F first came out. They compare it to the 125 2-stroke. Pay attention to what they say about never riding it below 10,000 RPM.

Due to the torque and impressive over-rev of the YZ250F motor, the bike also shines in perfect traction situations. In places that a 125 needs liberal amounts of clutch work to keep it on the pipe, the 250F will pull hard with no clutch work at all! Part of this is due to the torque of the motor, and part is due to the fact that a good four-stroke rider won't allow the motor to fall under about 10,000 RPM, even in the corners. The YZ250F revs to 13,500 rpms, and that's where it should be ridden just about all the time. This isn't your typical slow revving four-stroke—it demands to be ridden wide open like a two-stroke 125.

Cheers,

Doug

I'm 190 and probably over 200 with gear and I run a yz250f. I really don't have that much trouble clearing stuff. The only jumps I have a little bit of trouble clearing are big doubles right out of corners. With a seat bounce and a half cocked right hand I clear them pretty easy, but if I just tried to power up them I'd probably come short.

You're definitly not too fat for a 250F.

I weigh 200lbs and use stock gearing and have no problems......then I went with a 290 kits and I am even happier. Its all about technique running a 250f fast if your a fatty like me!

I weigh 235 im a big guy and ride a yz250f. I can clear a good 80 foot. Rev that bike like a 2 stoke and it will work fine for it. I ride trails and can out pull guys on a 450 up a hill climb. hit them is 2nd on the rev limiter and go.