Sign in to follow this  

Question Guessing the Answer

Right, no time to drop the oil tonight. But a DRZ S 16,000 miles with FCR and E intake.

I topped up the oil took it for the usual commute (50 miles at 80 mph...)

Small puddle by the breather line at work (Can't be mine, must have been there 🙂 )

I get home and definite signs of flingage. I check the oil and it's down. :worthy: Very distinct exhaustish flow and pulsing from the breather....

Any opinions? :D

Time for the E engine to go in I guess. Maybe a trip to Colorado for .......

Make sure the breather lines are clear

When you say down, how much does it take to top off?

Sudden excessive consumption is a sign of a stuck ring or failed/failing piston. A hard ride will cause the engine to use oil. My BB/Stroker uses oil where as my stock engine never used any. But I run the stroker harder and the compression is up on it so an increase for me was not out of line.

I was thinking rings.... The ride was hard and hot (107 that day) but other than hot no harder than usual.

It went from full full, maybe a cooter over, to not showing on the dipstick. In 50 miles. Till now that was 1200 miles....

I will drop the oil this weekend, it is due now anyway. I will measure the removed amount. The flow on the breather was more then I expected but I never really paid any attention to it before. The breather hose was "wet". I will rinse out the seperator as well maybe it is gummed up and not seperating as well as it should. It may not be recirculating.

This may be your fault William there was the discusion of a reason to do a 470 not so long ago.

I dropped the oil tonight 1600 ml say plus a little for "spillage". Dirty like it should be for the mileage. No sparkle at all no evidence of bits.

Viscosity was way down, ran through the funnel and screen like water. Hopefully it is just bagged out oil. It was hot as hell the other day and the bike ran way hot. Surprised it blew/burned out so much oil though.

One interesting note on the temp though. So it was 107 out (hottest day in Dallas yet this year) at 7000 ish rpm (70-75 ish mph) When I caught up to a car the water temp would actually climb about 7 degrees. It would run up to 175 then when you pulled around the car it would drop back to 168.

I'll grab 2L tomorrow and monitor it way close for the next week or 2. 🙂