Sign in to follow this  

Question about selling an 05 250x (now with pics)

My little brother had/has a low hour 05 or 06 (not sure) 250x that he needs to get rid of because he ended up with a 450x. The problem is it was one of the bikes that had the kickstart snap off the stop inside the case. Back when this happened he took it to the dealer and they wanted over $1100 to fix it. We just told them to take off the lever and he would either use the e-start of bump it.

At the time he didnt want any downtime because it was his ride, but now the bike is just sitting collecting dust. I LOVE working on bikes and am eager to tear into the bike and replace the case half in order to get more money on the sell.

So my question is...

Would replacing the case and making the Kickstart work again be worth the approx $400 in parts in the sale of this low hours 05 CRF 250x?

Also, I plan on doing my own research, but what do yall expect this bike to sell for?

Im sorry for making my second post in the 250 section one of these stupid how much to sell questions, but I figured it was a good place to start.

Thanks for any info,

Chase

Not many people will buy a broken bike. If they do, it will be for much, much less. Many more people will buy a clean and well running bike. Its worth the $400.00 to fix it.

Not many people will buy a broken bike. If they do, it will be for much, much less. Many more people will buy a clean and well running bike. Its worth the $400.00 to fix it.

Agreed. I'd buy a fixed bike, I wouldn't bike a busted bike.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I tore into her today and got quite a bit done. I just need to get a clutch hub holder, Flywheel Puller, and possibly a Case Splitter.

While Ive got the whole bike apart I plan on doing a very thorough cleaning as well as checking grease and bearings and everything else. When Im done with this bike its gonna be better than new.

This is the problem. Im not sure what its supposed to look like, but I know there is a chunk of AL missing.

DSC01142.jpg

DSC01121.jpg

Parts Pile waiting to be cleaned...

DSC01133.jpg

Frame needs a deep clean...

DSC01134.jpg

Got the engine on the bench...

DSC01136.jpg

And torn down a bit...

DSC01137.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

DSC01140.jpg

DSC01138.jpg

I know, I know, My garage is a mess and I should clean the machine better before I tear into it. Oh well, Its all gonna be spotless when it goes back together.

The break occured with less than 5 rides on the bike. It happened a few years ago and at that time there were a few threads with people with the same problem.

From what the dealer said at the time it wasnt from over rotation, it was from letting the lever go at the bottom of the kick.

Thats a negative on the Athena kit. Bike is stock 'cept JD jet and Power Surge kits.

The break occured with less than 5 rides on the bike. It happened a few years ago and at that time there were a few threads with people with the same problem.

From what the dealer said at the time it wasnt from over rotation, it was from letting the lever go at the bottom of the kick.

Thats a negative on the Athena kit. Bike is stock 'cept JD jet and Power Surge kits.

is it common with certain model years?

i do like to kick start my 06 a lot

i have heard it is common for the X to break that off. Not sure on model years. Knowing about that possible week link is primarily why I use my E start. I have my kick start for back up or when the battery is dead. I have also heard of people welding it and adding more aluminum to reinforce it. I personally have had no failure

I like the pink bike in the back ground . You should just put the motor back in that thing....Also looks like you are ready for a new radiator and throw in some guards.......As far is if the bike value goes up 400 dollars from fixing the kick starter...It depends on how much you are asking....If you are asking 3000 dollars you are not gonna get 3400 because of the kick starter...How ever if you are listing it really low due to the damage then it becomes worth it if you can get the price back up.....

No case splitter, hub holder or flywheel holder needed to get it apart. Just an impact wrench.

Once you get all the bolts out a few taps with a plastic mallet will pop the cases apart. Be sure to remove the trans drain bolt because it holds the cases together also.

I hope you have a service manual or a good memory.