Sign in to follow this  

Purchanse of a KDX 200

I was thinking about getting a KDX 200 to trail ride mostly but would like to take to a track every now and again to play on and had a few questions about it. I would appreciate any help on the subject.

1. I heard that maintenance on a KDX is low compared to other two strokes and four strokes. Is this true?

2. I was wandering how the weight and handling of a KDX 200 is comparable to a KX 250 and KX 125.

3. I would like to get a 2000 model of newer. Have they changed much since then or are they basically the same bike and what would be your recommendations?

Thanks,

Derrick

The maintenance is pretty straightfoward. Change the transmission fluid, lube the chain, and do the top end every so often. The KDX is definitely heavier then any KX, but it is still relatively light compared to other trailbikes of its time. The handling is also quite different, the suspension on the KDX is very soft compared to a KX. But for the trails it will work fine. I have taken my KDX to the track a handful of times and it is still good for a trail bike. Since 1996 the KDX200 has been the same.

my boss has a 2000 kdx 200 and compared to my 125 the low end torque is amazing, if your going to be riding primarily trails and tight stuff id deff reccomend it

I got a '96 KDX--started riding on it as a beginner, loved the thing. It is a stone reliable bike that is more than capable, plus there is a ton of things you can you can do to make them more fun when you feel like going faster, but they keep up for the most part....I doubt you will like it very much at the track tho.... Great bike, highly recommend it!!!!

bike has been the same since 97. It's NOT a motocross bike, but, that said, with some heavier oil and springs up front + maybe a race-tech valve ( or removing 2 of the washers on the valve stack ) it can jump and not kill you. I've race moto on mine before and it was just fine for the C class. You'll be going up against 250s so you'll be at quite a HP disadvantage unless you race age bracket classes -- in which case you'll have a huge power disadvantage since all us out of shape old people buy 450 four strokes.

KDX's...where to start? Well pretty much the best bike for the trails known to man is a good place. Not the best bike to toy around on the track though. Heavy and hard to throw around compared to a MX bike is probably not an unfair statement. The maintenance is very light so to speak. Don't take that as a you wont have to do much statement though. You just dont have to do it as often. These bikes are the sherman tanks of the offroad world. You will not be disappointed with it. Unless you try to jump it like a motocrosser. But I can guarantee that you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for everyones help. I am going to start looking for KDX 200/220 today.

How much riding experience do you have? If you are a beginner then riding the KDX on the track is not a big deal as you will not be hitting the big jumps and whipping too soon.

After a time you can decide which you really prefer or do more of. Maybe in a years time you will decide to buy a 2nd bike for the track and keep the KDX for trail ridding. 🙂

KDX is a great bike :D

I have a bored 200 with about 400 hours on the topend and it's not even starting to lose power. I know, I need to do the top end because, umm, well, uh, your suppose to.🙂

Great bike for the trails, but not that bad on the track either with a few mods. They jump just fine.

HPIM2020.jpg

That's why I said, "with a few mods". 🙂

I put kx250 forks on mine.

I like that fact that I have super soft suspension. after riding my CR for the last year and not touching my KDX I noticed a huge difference. too many gus have their bikes setup for the wrong thing and try to work the trails, only to get worked by the trails. Having softer suspension helps make the riding days last longer with less fatigue. But if you really want to be able to jump that bad then you gotta sacrifice something.

My forks are valved softer and have the bladder disabled. I crank the clickers in for the track and out for the trails. It really does work good. One problem with the stockers is flex at higher speeds but the biggest problem is the 4 inch underhang. That has stopped me many times and sent me over the bars more than once.🙂

that being said, I probably never woulda converted if I didn't bend one of the stockers.:D

Jeff Fredette rode a KDX through 25 ISDE's with out a DNF....Reliable & proven in the woods, but its NO MX BIKE. A natural terrain MX Track you could get away with, but anything else you will be disappointed......It's a REAL SHAME Kawasaki DID NOT invest more updates into the KDX & the EPA BULLSHIT Responsible for the KDX DEMISE, I DO NOT BELIEVE. KTM Updates their 2 strokes & people still buy them up.