Sign in to follow this  

Husqvarna TE-610IE or BMW G 650 Xchallenge?

How does the Husky compare to the BMW? The specs look similar to each other and the prices are similar. Is the Husky more street friendly? I should note I'm looking for an upgrade to my 2007 Kawsaki KLX-250S that will do serious road milage (110 miles each way) and still retain good off-road capability. THANKS!

Sid

Husky has a better tranny w/6spd and much smoother with wider ratio. BMW has 3 year warranty with roadside assist and it's fuel injection is light years ahead of Husky's still. BMW is a tad heavier, but only by a smudge and both are well mannered on the street. BMW has compression and rebound adjustments, but I think the TE610 has better quality internals if I am not mistaken (bolted together rather then crimped like the BMW Marzocchi's) Alot more aftermarket support at current for the BMW from Touratech in the way of fuel tanks, luggage etc. I've seen the previous generation BMW 650's go 80k miles with proper fluid changes, not sure the TE is up for that kind of longevity without some rebuilding.

You should take a look at the new KTM 690.It has a 6spd transmission,Brembo brakes,hyd.clutch and fuel injection.

HMMM...I wonder what answers you'll get? Dare I say, the Husky?!?!

David

🙂 I know but, KTM fanatics are easy to find and I want to fairly evaluate a Husky as a possible purchase and this seemed like a good place to learn about these rarely seen rides.

🙂 I know but, KTM fanatics are easy to find and I want to fairly evaluate a Husky as a possible purchase and this seemed like a good place to learn about these rarely seen rides.

My understanding is that BMW is going to discontinue production of the X-Challange. That would suggest to me that they don't want 2 similar bikes competeing against one another for the same crowd and weakening the customer base. If people have to choose between 2 siblings they might start looking at a different family of bikes, like KTM. I would suspect that they simply elected to continue production of the strongest competitor and that in this case it was the 610. Its' just my opinion but it makes perfect sense.

Sid,

The BMW is a nice bike... But the Husqvarna is a superior motorcycle all the way around.

HuskyRips

Buy what makes you happy and puts a smile on your face 🙂 I am in the same boat. I just found a local dealer and looked at the TE610. Great looking bike. I have read up on it and figured it would be the best bang for the buck as well as a fun ride. The dealer is also a BMW dealer and had 2 X-Challenges. One stock, the other decked out since it was the owners toy. I then went to look at the only KTM 690 E in town down the street. It is bigger in person than in pictures. I liked it alot as well...

The funny thing is, the stock X is cheaper out the door than the TE610 by a couple a hundred. The decked out X Challenge costs what the base 690 E will be. It has Ohlins shock, TT bash plate, numerous TT guards, etc... Then there is the 690 E at the end of my price range.

I am having a hard time deciding between the TE610 and the decked out X-Challenge (while the 690 is a VERY close 3rd choice and it changes everytime I think of 60+ hp putting a big grin on my face). For my use, mainly commuting, toying around, light dualsport, the decked out x-challenge would be the logical choice. The 690 E would fill the bill as well, but a little more expensive. The TE610 would be fun as well since I could add Supermoto rims for the price of the decked out X Challenge... Or buy the stock X and upgrade as I go... Or buy the 690 E and smile from ear to ear... Or buy the TE610 and have the most versatility of the bunch with just as much fun...

To make a long post short. You are not alone in trying to make a decision on these. I don't think any of these are a bad choice. Just choose the one that puts the most grins on your face. Who said motorcycles had to be logical.

Crap. The 690 E is calling my name again damnit...

For my use, mainly commuting, toying around, light dualsport, the decked out x-challenge would be the logical choice.

IMO the DL650 sounds like a better choice for this work.

Yeah, but have you seen MCINFANTRY's te610 with the supermoto rims... It looks like a blast to ride.

Decisions. Decisions...

For what it is worth, I am leaning more toward the TE610 because of the versatility with a set of supermoto rims (never tried it but looks fun). My communte is only 10 miles on back country roads. The bike is light and I could load it in a truck easier with my sons ttr 125 for riding with him. It is also big enough to go on longer dualsport rides.

Tough decision. Have you ridden any of them?

Keep in mind there are currently only a couple Husky dealers here in AZ and at least one of them is probably going away next year.

You should take a look at the new KTM 690.It has a 6spd transmission,Brembo brakes,hyd.clutch and fuel injection.

My ridng buddy bought a 690.

Nice bike - but the six speed is very narrow range - almost as bad as a DRZ 5 speed. And the suspension has 2 inches less travel.

That said, I have to admit it is fast. We trade bikes all the time and both bikes have their strong points.

The TE looks better.

I got to test ride both of them. IMO they are basically pretty close but that is because I only got to test them on pavement. I did like the Rotax mill and that Aprilia was involved (I sold a 2004 Mille recently). At 6'1" I still couldn't flatfoot the X but I could on the TE. I figured the air shock was probably on the soft side for someone my size (220#) but I couldn't check. I liked both and I thought either would meet my needs, but for me it came down to price. The dealer didn't have any of them and wanted to order and sell me one for full MSRP. It's a 2007 model (also end of life) and I didn't want to eat the first year's depreciation. Since they didn't have one sitting around they weren't going to eat the depreciation either. So, I bought the Husky. I just wish I was able to take delivery (long story involving some red tape w/ the BMW takeover).

i paid sub 7 for my 08 te610. sm wheels are absolutely fantastic for on-road. totally changes the bike. feels like i bought a new bike. i can swap wheels for my mood. hell another hurricane katrina and ill run dirt tires to scoot around. i try and drive it for everything. ive run so many groceries on it ive had employees come out and watch me leave. i rode 20lbs of boiled crawfish on it (in my lap).... ive got 2600 miles on it. 250+ on monday!

thanks for the compliments sgopher185.

i could/can buy anything i wanted. i chose the husky for what it can do, what i need it to do, and what i want it to do. none of these are similar. it will always be better than me. i like that.