Sign in to follow this  

differences between sxf and xcf 250

me and my friend were arguing the differences motor wise for the two bikes cams, gear ratios, suspension.. he said it was all the same i told him he was wrong can someone tell us the differences motor wise.

sxf motor is for motocross and the xcf is tuned more for offroad riding.

they are the same. the differences is the xcf has a flywheel weight and the 18 inch rear rim, electric start and a kickstand. they are the same engine. and it has the sxf 6 speed

The flywheel weight is due to the Estart, I think in adition to the above the cam(s?) are different, maybe its just the exhaust cam? but don't rely on that statment look it up in parts

You win, The SX is a four valve dual overhead cam and the XC is a four valve single overhead cam, totally different. Check out the specs. at ktm.com

xcf is same to exc-f with lights

other ex cam ,heavier flywheel , type carb (not hot start) , ignition ,forks, exhaust ,cylinder head ,setting rear shock,clamps ,rear wheel 18 and other

exaust is the same

Well you guys figure it out, go to the KTM web site then to models, then do a model comparison The SXf says " 4v/DOHC with finger followers" which stands for Dual over head cam, the EXC says "4v/OHC with rocker levers" and the XCF says "4v OHC with cam Levers" Notice no "D", Then go to the european site at KTM.com/powerparts.50 look up the EXC 450 and it says SOHC in the description which stands for Single over head cam, then check the tech. data and it says "4v OHC, with Rocker levers, notice no "D" again which is the same as the U.S. web site. That to me stands for single cam. I'm surprised you don't know this, all the magazines have pointed this out very clearly thats why the SX is a little hotter and the EXC and XCF are a little smoother for off road

i thnk that sxf and xcf are alike

then exc and xcf-w are alike

but the xcf and exc are completly different

O.K. I was half right I reread the Dirt Bike test, the XCF is a dual cam as is the SX however the XCFW and EXC is a single cam, The difference is in the "W" so you lose if the question is based only on the XCF not the XCFW.

that's with the 450. All new 250s are dohc.

xcfw us = exc-f elsewhere but with lights. single valve enduro style suspension, wide gear ratio

xcf & xcfw have estart and flywheel weight, kickstand

sxf and xcf have motocross type dual valve suspension

I was told the tranny ratios are different, but I have no proof, just heresay

No, trans is the same the "W" version has a different trans

O.K. I was half right I reread the Dirt Bike test, the XCF is a dual cam as is the SX however the XCFW and EXC is a single cam, The difference is in the "W" so you lose if the question is based only on the XCF not the XCFW.

NO, in the 250s all have the twin cam "RC4" engine, you may be quoting the stats on the 450s where the SXF & XCF have the twin cam RF4 engine and the EXC & XCW-F are single cam?

I have had the head off all these bikes (XCFW,XCF,SXF) they are all the same except maybe different cams. There all dual overheads!!!!! 🙂:D:worthy::ride::banghead::prof::banghead:

i've noticed KTMUSA.COM has many errors, like the 450 XC-F has DOHC right? not according to them http://ktmusa.com/450-XC-F.100150.20.html?&detailview=2&cHash=da62385a81

they also say the 250 XC-F has a 5 speed http://ktmusa.com/450-XC-F.100150.20.html?&detailview=2&cHash=da62385a81

so I wouldn't think it be wise to quote the manufacturer of your motorcycle on what it has in it 🙂 obviously they contract some geek who doesn't know the difference between a pumper and cv carb.

I think the XC-F is just a off road tuned SX-F, the 450 version has a 5 speed instead of a 4 though

i've noticed KTMUSA.COM has many errors, like the 450 XC-F has DOHC right? not according to them http://ktmusa.com/450-XC-F.100150.20.html?&detailview=2&cHash=da62385a81

they also say the 250 XC-F has a 5 speed http://ktmusa.com/450-XC-F.100150.20.html?&detailview=2&cHash=da62385a81

so I wouldn't think it be wise to quote the manufacturer of your motorcycle on what it has in it 🙂 obviously they contract some geek who doesn't know the difference between a pumper and cv carb.

I think the XC-F is just a off road tuned SX-F, the 450 version has a 5 speed instead of a 4 though

I keep reading things in my manual that seem like errors as well. When they mention the adjustable offset tripple clamps they said 18mm is better for straight line stability on faster courses and 20 offset was better for turns, isnt that backwards?

I keep reading things in my manual that seem like errors as well. When they mention the adjustable offset tripple clamps they said 18mm is better for straight line stability on faster courses and 20 offset was better for turns, isnt that backwards?

sure feels backwards. 🙂 but the manual makes a yami manual look like your second cousin, and your new KTM manual like Megan Fox.

I guess the fit and finish goes with all there stuff. :D