DR-Z400s or sm???

I am getting my wife her first bike, a DR200se, and going to get myself a DR-Z400 but not sure on which model to get. I LOVE the looks of the SM and will do most of my riding on the road but still want to hit the dirt some too.

Would you suggest getting the SM and finding a set of dirt rims and tires or getting the S and putting some street tires on it?

Get the S. More universal. Put on some universal tires. They work well enought for mild dirt use and well enough on the street. I love the look of the SM too but the S is just a do everything bike as is.

It all depends on how hard you will ride it in the dirt, and where.

If you are talking fire roads and open trails, the SM will do just fine as it is. If you are talking hairy, technical single track, the S is the better choice due to the smaller front brake rotor (less likely to smash it when in the rough stuff). You can convert an S to SM trim for as low as $1300 (with a complete set of wheels so you can swap back and forth) and it can skyrocket from there depending on how bit you get.

If you plan on spending the majority of the time on the road, I think you will be happier with the SM.

For the most part it will be on the road. As far as the dirt goes nothing serious at all. It has been way to long since I've been on a dirtbike to start with, I don't plan on doing anything hairy or technical. Most likely gravel and hard packed dirt. I will be spending most of the time riding with my wife and like I said this will be her first motorcycle. I'm giving up a GSX-R600 for a street and trail bike. I want to be more comfortable riding with her.

I don't plan on doing anything hairy or technical.

.... yet. My proirities changed quickly once I started riding dirt again. Its just too much fun, now I'm kicking myself for not buying an ever more dirt oreinted machine.

.... yet. My proirities changed quickly once I started riding dirt again. Its just too much fun, now I'm kicking myself for not buying an ever more dirt oreinted machine.

that's why I bougt the S.....I'm just hoping I can make it a good offroad bike, while still being able to drive it to work as much as possible.

go sm and get dirt tires. Cheaper to go that route as others have said. You can get a set on ebay for probably 700bucks, I did anyway. sm wheels are much more expensive. I prefer the forks on the sm as well.

I'm like yourself as well, mostly street riding but when I go to the lake I love putting the mt21's on and rippin.

It's not cheaper to buy an SM and a set of dirt wheels when you consider the higher initial purchase price of the SM. In the end you're pretty much going to spend the same amount (within a couple hundred dollars) to buy the bike and a second set of wheels and tires no matter which route you take.

I just remember when I first came around here there were plenty of threads regarding SM's leaking... mostly from the wheelie guys. Admittedly, I have not seen any in a long time. Maybe the earlier forks were more prone???