Exhaust suggestions for XR650R

Looking for exhaust suggestions/opinions for an '07 XR650R. Should I go with the HRC spark arrestor or spend that money towards a good slip-on? Will a slip-on suffice, or is the full exhaust worth the extra $$$ ? What are the better brands for the 650R? Best bang for the buck?

Thanks!

I have 2 pigs, one with stock exhaust, headers ground, and performance tip and one with FMF Powercore 4 slip-on, headers ground. No difference in performance! And they just about sound the same too! Both are uncorked. You get some weight reduction on the FMF, but I don't notice it, they are both still too heavy, so I'd do whatever is cheaper. Unless you like the gleam of aluminum better than flat black paint. I have the full stainless XR's Only exhaust on my XR4, and no noticable diff between that and the stock header with welds ground and FMF. It sounds cooler though. Buy the power-tip and spend the extra cash on suspension before ANYTHING else after uncorking. I'm sure nobody will disagree with me on that point, no?

I have 2 pigs, one with stock exhaust, headers ground, and performance tip and one with FMF Powercore 4 slip-on, headers ground. No difference in performance! And they just about sound the same too! Both are uncorked. You get some weight reduction on the FMF, but I don't notice it, they are both still too heavy, so I'd do whatever is cheaper. Unless you like the gleam of aluminum better than flat black paint. I have the full stainless XR's Only exhaust on my XR4, and no noticable diff between that and the stock header with welds ground and FMF. It sounds cooler though. Buy the power-tip and spend the extra cash on suspension before ANYTHING else after uncorking. I'm sure nobody will disagree with me on that point, no?

+1 On that from me.

I acquired a used XR650R that was partially uncorcked and had the HRC tip in the stock muffler. I've added ProCircuit headers. It barks a bit when you crank the throttle but is mellow if you're just putt-putting. I feel like it is the best performance for the dollar.

I'd also second the suggestion to get your suspension dialed. You can have it done or dive in there yourself. Absolutely the best mod you can do. If you were to give me a choice between suspension mods or engine mods on a stock bike I'd take the upgraded boingers in a heartbeat.

What do you mean by "headers ground"?

I've got a Pro-Circuit T4 system on mine. The Stocker was uncorked, but I just didn't like the way it looked (Pretty banged up) and it was heavy, not to mention huge. The T4 head pipes are bigger in diameter than the stock ones, and the sound is a little deeper...like a good pig should be. I saw an FMF pipe on one yesterday while I was out and it sounded great. Had a deep throaty rumble to it. I second the suggestion on the boingers. I'm 230 and I need to have mine dialed in for me like yesterday! Now is a good time as I'm healing up a broken collarbone and can't ride. It doesn't take a lot to unleash the ponies with a pig. Much easier than other bikes I've owned. Good luck in your search. "Q"

Thanks to everyone for their input. For now, I think I will save some $$$ and uncork the bike and use the billet muffler tip w/spark arrester off of ebay. I put one on my DRZ400 and though it didn't open up the DRZ much (the DRZ400S has more internal baffling), it looked good and enhanced the sound a bit. I might also drill out the stock spark arrester and compare the two. Eventually I may go with the HRC arrester or a good slip on... then again, maybe stick with the stock muffler and bolt on a FMF Powerbomb header...??? I would normally go ahead with an aftermarket exhaust, but I'm going to research the actual hp gain vs. $$$ ratio on this bike. Being that it is an R model, the exhaust is probably not choking the pig as much as a street legal exhaust like the one on my DRZ400S. I will also be looking seriously at the suspension mods/tuning... I'll probably wait until the weather goes bad and have mine redone. Thanks again!

Dan

Oklahoma

2007 XR650R

2006 Yamaha FZ-1

Being that it is an R model, the exhaust is probably not choking the pig as much as a street legal exhaust like the one on my DRZ400S. I will also be looking seriously at the suspension mods/tuning... I'll probably wait until the weather goes bad and have mine redone. Thanks again!

Dan

Oklahoma

2007 XR650R

2006 Yamaha FZ-1

The R is restricted BIG TIME! Take a good look at the exit hole on your stock exaust tip. If you are going to uncork, you have to drill it or replace it. Otherwise, you're wasting your time. I first modded my stock tip, then I picked up a HRC tip. I went back to the modded stocker because it's not quite as loud. You will be amazed by the performance gain that comes with uncorking, but you have to do the whole package to get it. If you want to compare hp/$$, then you can't get much more gain from so little money on about anything else. The mods are cheap and well worth it. It can be done for way less than $100.

The R is restricted BIG TIME! Take a good look at the exit hole on your stock exaust tip. If you are going to uncork, you have to drill it or replace it. Otherwise, you're wasting your time. I first modded my stock tip, then I picked up a HRC tip. I went back to the modded stocker because it's not quite as loud. You will be amazed by the performance gain that comes with uncorking, but you have to do the whole package to get it. If you want to compare hp/$$, then you can't get much more gain from so little money on about anything else. The mods are cheap and well worth it. It can be done for way less than $100.

I know the R is restricted at the airbox, carb and exhaust tip. I mentioned that I will be doing those mods very soon. I was comparing to a DRZ400S stock pipe that is very restricted in it's exhaust and not just at the exhaust tip/spark arrestor. The DRZ's head pipe is too small in diameter and there is a lot of baffling in the can that can't be removed without cutting open the exhaust and then welding everything back together. The $$$ to hp ratio I'm referring to is how much more hp would I get with a new header,new slip-on, or new full system. I'm not sure the hp gain would be worth the $$$ to me.

Any good info on expected hp gain with a good pipe vs. the uncorked stock pipe?

Thanks

I don't have a HP/$ ratio for you and my experience with aftermarket exhausts on the R is very limited, but I can tel you that a holesaw and five minutes will de-restrict your stock tip for no cost. The difference in performance, like everyone else said, is substanital.

I did quite a bit of research of full exhaust systems and slip-ons for the R, and it seemed as if quite a few folks actually preferred the stock header, some even prefered the complete stock set-up (drilled, of course). It costs you nothing to try it, and if you are unsatisfied THEN open your wallet.

In turth, I suspect most exhaust changes on the XRR are more about shaving a bit of weight and BLING.

As with most anything, a complete exhaust system will be most advantageous if you are upping the cc's and/or changing the cam. From what I've read, you will lose bottom end with a set of aftermarket high flow headers on a (internally) stock R.

Ive got the Remus twin pipe setup on mine and it kicks the crap out of the uncorked stock pipe, or the FMF Ti4 system I had. You cant go wrong with any of the non noise reg systems, (Moriwaki, Remus, DOMA, Akrapovik, etc) Also very good from what I hear are the Barnums Pro and the impossible to find Pro Circuit built Honda of America system (that PC has not sold for years). IMO

Ive got the Remus twin pipe setup on mine and it kicks the crap out of the uncorked stock pipe, or the FMF Ti4 system I had. You cant go wrong with any of the non noise reg systems, (Moriwaki, Remus, DOMA, Akrapovik, etc) Also very good from what I hear are the Barnums Pro and the impossible to find Pro Circuit built Honda of America system (that PC has not sold for years). IMO

You got any pics of your setup you can post?

• 2 weeks later...

I run FMF Hi-flow headers and the Q2 silencer on my 650R, The headers do take away a tiny bit of the really low-end power, but adds way more mid-range hit, and the Q2 gives a nice mellow Thump without the optional insert, and with the insert the bike is virtually silent.

I ran the stock system with the HRC tip for a couple of years, but the sound is way to raspy and coarse in my ears, but power is really good though.

plus the FMF system looks the part also:) golden stainless headers and Aluminum silencer beats the stock, black system any day.

Go to Bruce Borynack's site and copy one of the suspension set-ups he has listed. I've done it on both of my pigs. HUGE improvement. A free revalve! Do the work yourself. If you can change your oil and adjust your engine valves you can certainly tackle the suspension on your pig.

Thanks Bruce!

I use a Big Gun full racing system with the big headpipes that tuck in behind the radiators on my BRP-R and it has an evil mid & top-end hit to it at the expense of a small amount of low-end power. Noise level, well, it's a RACE pipe........has a healthy bark @ full throttle! Not impressed with mild steel usage on a dirt bike, even with HPC ceramic coating(rust is showing up under the coating). I'd recommend a full stainless system or at least a stainless slipon muffler.

I also keep a full stock system handy if the police have any noise issues with my thumper from hell........and I use mine for commuting and street use 98%.