Sign in to follow this  

looping out?

I am having some issues with jumping and could use some advice.

I am never very sure of how fast or in what gear i should be hitting jumps, is there a rule of thumb or any way besides guesswork to tell how fast i should be hitting the takeoff?

I also have a problem with keeping the front end down, one jump my bike went almost vertical so i bailled off the back in the air as landing in that position was a scary prospect lol.

Im thinking i was accelerating too much on the face of the jump rather than being smooth on the throttle.

Id appreciate any advice as it might save me from a trip to the ER with ouchies 🙂

knowing what speed to hit a jump in comes from seat time.

u can also as someone who is hitting it and has the same size bike as u and see what gear and how much throttle they are using.

you might try starting to learn to tap the rear brake in the air for correcting looping out. just over a small table top start by just pullin in the clutch then start tappin the brake a little.

it aslo has to do with throttle control though

🙂

the rear brake will help but wont bring the bike back from vertical without some crazy body english.

Accelerating off the face wont necessarily loop you out, but "blipping" the throttle will....especially if you are sitting back too far. Seems like you'll benefit the most from more seat time and really watching how the other riders are attacking sections of the track that are causing you problems.

I am having some issues with jumping and could use some advice.

I am never very sure of how fast or in what gear i should be hitting jumps, is there a rule of thumb or any way besides guesswork to tell how fast i should be hitting the takeoff?

I also have a problem with keeping the front end down, one jump my bike went almost vertical so i bailled off the back in the air as landing in that position was a scary prospect lol.

Im thinking i was accelerating too much on the face of the jump rather than being smooth on the throttle.

Id appreciate any advice as it might save me from a trip to the ER with ouchies 🙂

Keeping the front end down is harder now with modern-style jumps (vs the non-double ramp-type jumps that I was brought up with in the '70s and 80's.)

I still occasionally ride mx tracks, and suffer the same "nose high" issues.

I got some good advice about body position that helped; on the jumps that my front end was too high on, next lap on same jump I leaned forward more during takeoff. That really helped!

stand up and squeeze the bike with ur knees bent. in an attack position and u really shouldnt have any troubles.

The more seat time you get the more comfortable youll be judging how fast you need to be going.

Also always remember smoothness when hitting a jump, dont crack the throttle right at the lip because that is what causes you to launch the nose in the air, but you also dont want to let off either because then your front end will drop. You also benefit from smooth acceleration by getting more traction out of turns and such.

Another thing to work on is body positioning try to have a neutral stance when hitting the jump. But the more seat time you get the easier this stuff is.

squezee the bike with your knees and keep the bike/body position tight. This helps me as a newbie quite alot. Neutral attack position.

next lap on same jump I leaned forward more during takeoff. That really helped!

That's it right there. Get forward. That simple. Get your head out over the bars, and keep it there, unless you are braking, or going through whoops. All other times, your head should be out over the bars. Do this, no more looping out. Now you control the bike, instead of it controlling you. 🙂

hyperawg, are you riding a 2-stroke or 4-stroke? Just curious, cause it seems like looping out is a lot less common now in the 4-stroke age.

Thanks for all the responses, i definatly think i need to work on my body position more. I feel like im too stiff atm and need to loosen up a bit.. i get into a death grip on my bars and always have to remind myself to let go a little.

All this will improve with practice i hope :D

I ride a crf250r, its my first 4 stroke mx bike, up untill now i have mostly ridden 2 strokes but after a guy let me have a buzz arround on his old Honda XL 250 i decided i wanted a honda 4 banger. I am still getting used to how much the engine weights and slows the bike down compared to a 2stroke, im happy i made the jump to 4t though, they are so nice to ride and the power seems alot more constant, im not always searching for the power band. 🙂