Sign in to follow this  

How to - Heated grips ?

I'm planning on installing some heated grips on my Z sometime before winter. What brand do you recommend? (less expensive ones please)

How do you install them from top to bottom?

I'll install new grips at the same time.

Thanks!

Simetic (sp?) sold by Dual Star are about $30. They are heat balanced for motorcycle use R and L and have a HI and LO setting with no power wasting resister. Work best if the left is put on over an insulating sleeve. All instructioins included. Pretty simple.

+1 for the Dual-Star.

You can buy cheaper, but will likely regret it.

1. Buy the Dual Star heated grip kit.

2. Buy new throttle tube, it's not worth the trouble to get the grip off.

3. Buy 2 sets of grips, use both throttle side grips (larger inside diameter) It keeps the left grip from being larger than the right.

4. Insulate left bar end with heat shrink tubing or tape. (see #3 ^^^)

5 Install per instructions.

Your hands will love you for it. 🙂

M

Poo, I forgot to order 2 sets of grips. Anyone just use 1 set and happy with it? Dang it I should of checked the thread again b4 placing my order.

What do you guys use to insulate the left side with? And do you install the heater on the outside of the throttle tube? Any pics of where you run the wires? I'm wondering if the wires on the throttle side will have issues since you're always twisting it...

Thanks!!

3. Buy 2 sets of grips, use both throttle side grips (larger inside diameter) It keeps the left grip from being larger than the right.

4. Insulate left bar end with heat shrink tubing or tape. (see #3 ^^^)

M

Good tip

Man how cold you gonna be riding in? Forget about insulating the bar. That defeats the way 90% of the warmers on the market work. I have warmers on my King Couch, my Arctic cat 600 and 800, my wifes quad and both of my parents 4x4's. None of them are insulated from the bar, the warmer heats up the bar the bar holds the heat, the only time this is not true is in -30 F. and colder, even then my sleds handwarmers work pretty good. At -30 you really don't want to go fast enough to make the bar into a heat sink... I use hand warmers that look like little rear window defrosters on a sticker.. you stick them to the bar, run your grips over em safty wire your grips and your good to go. I'd have em on my bike but I don't want to upgrade the stator to run the extra load, if its cold enough I need hand warmers then I'll ride the couch and work on my 4x4 drifts......

My .02

Kone

My best guess is that on all your rides you have, you don't have a throttle tube ie. your heaters all make contact with the bar so the heat is equal on both hands. From what I've read if you don't insulate the left grip one side will get much hotter than the other, since one is on aluminum and the other is on plastic... I could be wrong though.

Man how cold you gonna be riding in? Forget about insulating the bar. That defeats the way 90% of the warmers on the market work. I have warmers on my King Couch, my Arctic cat 600 and 800, my wifes quad and both of my parents 4x4's. None of them are insulated from the bar, the warmer heats up the bar the bar holds the heat, the only time this is not true is in -30 F. and colder, even then my sleds handwarmers work pretty good. At -30 you really don't want to go fast enough to make the bar into a heat sink... I use hand warmers that look like little rear window defrosters on a sticker.. you stick them to the bar, run your grips over em safty wire your grips and your good to go. I'd have em on my bike but I don't want to upgrade the stator to run the extra load, if its cold enough I need hand warmers then I'll ride the couch and work on my 4x4 drifts......

My .02

Kone

wouldnt a motion pro billet throttle tube also work...that way both of the heaters would have contact with metal.

Ive ordered my dual stars for this winter but i have yet to order a throttle tube and grips to install it, trying to get out of buying two sets of grips here...lol.

Just did mine a few weeks ago. Went with the Kimpex brand.

I basically followed these instructions:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476922

With the kimpex's you'll need to buy some other parts (female connectors, quick connects, an in line fuse, some small heat shrink tubing, maybe a little wire & a relay if you go that route).

On the clutch side i just wound 3 loops of that self vulcanizing tape stuff (called magic tape at canadian tire). Lots of guys do two layers of 1" heat shrink tube....but I couldn't find any. I still find the throttle tube side gets hotter faster. Didn't need two sets of grips. Just used a little gas & the air compressor to get the clutch side on.

Few pics:

Throttle side with zip tied wires & extra slack for throttle movement

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007-1.jpg

Mounted the relay behind the headlight bracket. You can see the zip tie here:

Picture008.jpg

Clutch side:

Picture010-2.jpg

Used existing battery tender line for my wiring. Wicked idea i got from the above link.

Picture011.jpg

I am so glad I live in Southern California and never have to worry about cold, I feel spoiled compared to you guys. Brrrrrrrr

poakone, I have heated drips on my sleds also but the heating element is built into the grip and not wraped directly onto the bar, insulating the heater from the bar gets more heat into the grip.

mr gs-r, two sets of $9.00 grips and a $10.00 plastic throttle tube are much cheaper, and will work better, than a billet tube.

you don't need to use two sets of grips , I didn't on mine, but the left grip is noticably bigger than the right and when I change grips next time I will use two throttle side grips.

Blackbeast2009, you're just a SoCal girlyman. j/k :lame:

M

I am so glad I live in Southern California and never have to worry about cold, I feel spoiled compared to you guys. Brrrrrrrr

F- that when it's cold I can put on more layers of clothing and be warm, when it's hot I can only stip down to my skin (not a pretty sight as is) once I'm at that layer I can't take any more off and I'm still HOT!!! I'll take a colder climate any day. :lame::bonk:

And yes my sleds grips were originally built in, but just like the factory bars on every other machine I've put on its lid I bent those bars and replaced them with PROTAPERs. I then bought the same heaters I have on my quads and other sleds put em on the bars and put the grips over em, no insulater between them and the bars. I can see how the trhottle tube would heat up quicker not having a bar to heat, but you could get around this issue with a seperate switch for each side, set thottle on low, set clutch on high. I do have to say that with my heaters on all of my toys the day is spent turning them UP down OFF on UP down as I ride to adjust for the heat, and all of them get too HOT to want to hang onto if you leave em on long enough, this is the only nice thing about my 600 is the swiches are on the grip cluster, all my other toys they are much more than a thumbs throw away.....

L8r.. Kone

Do NOT insulate the clutch side bar unless you have aluminum bars. The Dual Stars are made so that they heat equally so if you follow the instructions you will be extremley satisfied. I have used them on my last 4 bikes and I would not be without them. Just put a set on my son's FZ6 today.

Someone gave me a link to a $20 set thru rockymtnatv so that's what I went with. There's a resistor inline and ppl say it gets really hot. I'm wondering if I could cut the resistor out and install a round knob instead of the stock toggle switch. Almost like a dimmer switch in a house, but a smaller one. Wonder in rat shak would have something? Anyone have any idea's of why it would or wouldn't work well?

Will 1 layer of 1" heat shrink tubing suffice?