Sign in to follow this  

Which mounts for Cycra hand guards?

I am going to buy some hand guards for my 08 WR250F. I decided on the Cycra Pro Bend ones. I was just wondering which mounting hardware would be the best. If anybody has any recommendations on which would be the easiest to install with the best results.

These are the 4 that I found:

center reach mount kit

solution mount kit

racer kit with side triple-clamp mount

racer kit with front triple-clamp mount

Thanks.

Tim

i had the standard mounts and could not keep them from moving and trying to clamp on the bars without hitting something else was a big problem.

i got the tripple clamp side mounts and they work great, ive hit some trees pretty hard and im impressed with how strong they are. the pics really dont show the mounts too well.

wr4.jpg

wr3.jpg

I put on the triple clamp mounts and it transferred some vibration through the handlebars so I went back to the bar mounts, plus I have a severe case of carpal tunnel. I like the triple clamp mounts though, just didn't work out for me.

I had the triple clamp mounts at first. They were a bitch to install on my 08 WR. I had to modify the power button mount, move the number plate over at the top, cut the nub off the master cyl. and rotate the brake line up, and probably a few other things as well, I just can't remember right now. With the triple mounts you also need to source longer fork tube pinch bolts. You are also limited on how high or low you clock the guards on the bars. I tend to drop my bike often, and the mounts bent on the first ride, and after about 6 months they finally cracked. The problem is that any force is applied to the weak side of the mount, so they bend and eventually crack.

Now I have regular bar mounts for the guards, and like them much more than the triple mounts. No modifying mounts and such to fit them, more choice on how high or low you mount them. They are a true bolt on item, compared to the triple mounts that require modifying parts to make them fit.

I have Cycra handguards and I really do like them. I have never bent the guards themselves, and only broke one plastic shield after one of many hard crashes.

I've tried the Bonz mounts; cool idea, but they left the handguards too close to the bars.

I've had a standard set of Cycra side triple clamp mounts (the front mounts are for Honda). As mentioned, they are limited in height, so my guards would point down in the center with CR high bars and +15mm bar mounts, and also as mentioned, they bent sideways more than once.

When I switched to a BRP Submount, the Cycra mounts were way too low, so I made a 1" taller replica to work with my high bar setup. I bent those, too,... more than once.

I finally switched to the "U" clamp because I'd rather not do any damage to my triple clamp, or worse, fork tubes. Plus, if they do rotate down, it's pretty easy to move them back. The only problem I have with them is they crowd the bars for space, especially between the mounts and the crossbar.

I would guess you'd run into the same crowding issue with the solution mount, but it does look strong. The center reach mount looks like it uses a slightly different handguard, and would also crowd the bars. Both should work at whatever height your bars are, though.