Sign in to follow this  

grip problem, protaper pillow tops being ate'n

i got a new pair of bars for my kx100, pro taper SE, so i bit the bullet and used my very (and i stress very) low budget and got some pro taper pillow top grips. so i put the bars on then the grips, and let them dry over night. heres the problem, come back the next morning, i see tiny little holes, didnt realy think anything of it at first, thought the black spots were just dried scott grip glue. i looked back at them tonight, and relize that those black dots were holes, there is about a 3-4 mm tear in one spot on the non throttle side. i belive the glue ate right through the grip?🙂 because i see more and more holes forming around that tear, but its only on that side and only in one spot. any advise, simaler storys? anything?

edit: just look at my bike again, directly on the other side of the grip there is more holes? but its only on the non throttle side at the one point about and inch from the end?

you didnt use the right grip glue, it has to be specific for the compounds in your grips.

what glue did you use scotts???

you should complain and get your money back....then go get some moose clamp on grips....they are easy to put on, comes with grip/throttle tube (all one piece) and the non throttle side just clamps on with allen bolts. no break in time and no glue.

but thats all my dealer had was scott, no specific compounds? would spray paint work?

same problem i had with honda grip glue

you gotta use the pro taper glue

yep use pro taper grip glue, with pro taper grips plus the pillow tops arent the regular PT grips

no grip glue and some saftey wire maybe????

have you tried wire on the pillow tops, it cuts right thru them after a couple rides, and this is if you dont twist tight enuff to cut thru them just putting it on. there was another post on TT about not using wire on the pillow tops

Had the same problem bought them installed with brake cleaner lol and come back in an hour and had a nice rip in them, the cleaner ate right through the grips!!! last time I use brake cleaner to install grips.

brake cleaner lol....i use gas and then wire them on never used pillow grips yet..was usiing protaper half waffle bit bought 2 pairs of spiders to trey..does grips make a big diffirence?

Shoe Goo has worked perfectly for me and my pillow grips.

+1 nothing is better then shoe goo and that scotts stuff sucks soooo bad if its the black stuff I used it and a week later my grips started to spin:thumbsdn:

I usually use WD-40, that works good, but I've never used the pillow top grips. I have been wanting to try them or the spider grips, any suggestions on which ones? I don't like the waffle grips, they are give me blisters, but the MSR dual comp all diamond grips I have now are showing way to much wear for only a few rides, they suck in the mud and they are getting "sticky" to the touch. I have heard that the pillow tops are bigger then regular grips, and my hands are pretty small, any problems there?

I usually use WD-40, that works good, but I've never used the pillow top grips. I have been wanting to try them or the spider grips, any suggestions on which ones? I don't like the waffle grips, they are give me blisters, but the MSR dual comp all diamond grips I have now are showing way to much wear for only a few rides, they suck in the mud and they are getting "sticky" to the touch. I have heard that the pillow tops are bigger then regular grips, and my hands are pretty small, any problems there?

I have pretty small hands too (glove size medium) but the pillow grips are very comfortable. I would highly recommend them and can't imagine I would switch to anything else.