Sign in to follow this  

grip problem, protaper pillow tops being ate'n

I always use golf club double sided tape and lighter fluid. works great and as a matter of fact I just put some pillow top grips on my bike yesterday doing this.

Well here is my take so far: If you use too much glue you will mess up the grips. How much too much ?! You know when you get tears! Using the right glue will probably help. I have used same amount of glue on other grips with no problem, but these pillow tops have softer compound and so they are probably prone to glue damage. Same with wires; I guess be gentle and don't crank them too tight. I just think it would be nice if ProTaper warns their customers by letting them know on the product packaging. Obviously they are prone to glue damage otherwise some of us wouldn't have that issue.

but thats all my dealer had was scott, no specific compounds? would spray paint work?

yes, as stated above..hair spray also works welll 👍

Well, I had a conversation with Pro Taper's marketing man. Though he said he hadn't heard of this particular problem, he was super nice and he hooked me up with a great deal to get my new grips. I must say they are really nice and do stand behind their products. We are supposed to use their glue ... I have several of their different grips and they all look & feel real nice 😏 I will test them all with different glues eventually ...

Nothing quite like resurrecting a 3 year old thread about how to mount grips.

Do I sense a wee bit of sarcasm there?:rant:

Hey, I look at it this way, better to resurrect a three year old thread about grips than to resurrect a year old oil thread where harsh feelings could last a lifetime over trivial internet banter.😏

i just soak mine in hot water for like 5 mins and they're usually pretty easy to slide on,and once they dry they never move or spin on me and you dont have to worry about getting the old glue off your bars when it comes time to replace them

Do I sense a wee bit of sarcasm there?:rant:

Hey, I look at it this way, better to resurrect a three year old thread about grips than to resurrect a year old oil thread where harsh feelings could last a lifetime over trivial internet banter.😏

True, I was being sarcastic. And you're right about the oil threads and lately anything to do with James Stewart in the Pro Racing forum. Lots of bickering going back and forth there.

True, I was being sarcastic. And you're right about the oil threads and lately anything to do with James Stewart in the Pro Racing forum. Lots of bickering going back and forth there.

I'm glad you have a sense of humor and realized I wasn't trying to stir the pot as they say. In other words, your comment that I pointed out, had just the right touch of classy sarcasm. And yes, I could just imagine the rants flying back and forth in the Pro Racing forum:smirk:.

Ride On!

Just installed two sets last night. Used the Pro Taper glue like instructed wire tied them up. Checked them this morning and all seems to be good. Will have to see how they make it through the weekend. First time to use this type of grip.

I never had luck with the few brands of grip glue I have used, i have even tried using small amounts of glue.

And hair spray? come on guys? is that a joke, I learned my lesson trying that on BMX bikes!

First off, I do not think there is a liquid that adheres to metal, at least grip glue does not.

So far the dryer the better, at least from my experiences (I race A class in CO), and just use good Grip tie wire!

The less stress you put on the grip sliding them on, the better.

A good trick my cousin taught me that I always use is using an air compressor with a needle nozzle. Blow air into the grip as you pull it on, it rides on a cushion of air, and if done right, slides on in about 1 second!

Then tie wire it and your set.

Though I might try that hot water idea, though I would think that I would want to at least dry the inside before sliding it on. Yes? no?

I never had luck with the few brands of grip glue I have used, i have even tried using small amounts of glue.

And hair spray? come on guys? is that a joke, I learned my lesson trying that on BMX bikes!

First off, I do not think there is a liquid that adheres to metal, at least grip glue does not.

So far the dryer the better, at least from my experiences (I race A class in CO), and just use good Grip tie wire!

The less stress you put on the grip sliding them on, the better.

A good trick my cousin taught me that I always use is using an air compressor with a needle nozzle. Blow air into the grip as you pull it on, it rides on a cushion of air, and if done right, slides on in about 1 second!

Then tie wire it and your set.

Though I might try that hot water idea, though I would think that I would want to at least dry the inside before sliding it on. Yes? no?

If the water is hot enough you just shake it out and slide it on, the drop or 2 thats left in there will lubricate it as you slide it on then it will evaporate, I havent had any problems yet and ive done this on 4 or 5 sets of grips now sometimes they're a little hard to slide on but once the grip contracts it stays on there pretty good

I have used hair spary, the pump kind my wife uses, for close to 30 years and never had a problem. I spray the bar, slide the grip on, and safety wire the grip the next day. They never spin and I used to ride 250 Expert in D-37. I'm not that fast anymore but my grips still stay in place.

Edited by BrokenSpoke2