Sign in to follow this  

Break in Honda CRF450R

Hi,

I use to be a pinger guy (YZ250 -08) but bought a left over Honda CRF450R -08 yesterday. I really love this bike, but i have som questions i hope to get answer to.

1.) After how long time do you change oil for the first time ?

The manual says 15 hours, but that seams way to long i my mind.

I changed oil every fifth i my YZ, i this suitable for the CRF as well ?

2.) I am 180cm, 85Kg and i feel that perhaps i need a higher bar.

If you are aiming for Renthal, what model can you recommend ?

3.) In almost every review about CRF450R 2008 they are complaining about

stiff front suspension. In my first ride i felt something is lacking in the

front if i compare to my YZ, but i cant really point out what it is.

Is there a easy way to solve this problem ? I am not familiar with

suspension work. This bike is set up for guys between 65-75 Kg, how do

you set it up for a guy that weight 85kg ?

4.) I find it a little bit difficult to fire her up. I have read many other threads

regarding this issue, but i am curios what technicue you use for yor 2008

CRF.

Thanks in advance !

Jörgen from sweden

Hi,

I use to be a pinger guy (YZ250 -08) but bought a left over Honda CRF450R -08 yesterday. I really love this bike, but i have som questions i hope to get answer to.

1.) After how long time do you change oil for the first time ?

The manual says 15 hours, but that seams way to long i my mind.

I changed oil every fifth i my YZ, i this suitable for the CRF as well ?

2.) I am 180cm, 85Kg and i feel that perhaps i need a higher bar.

If you are aiming for Renthal, what model can you recommend ?

3.) In almost every review about CRF450R 2008 they are complaining about

stiff front suspension. In my first ride i felt something is lacking in the

front if i compare to my YZ, but i cant really point out what it is.

Is there a easy way to solve this problem ? I am not familiar with

suspension work. This bike is set up for guys between 65-75 Kg, how do

you set it up for a guy that weight 85kg ?

4.) I find it a little bit difficult to fire her up. I have read many other threads

regarding this issue, but i am curios what technicue you use for yor 2008

CRF.

Thanks in advance !

Jörgen from sweden

Change the oil & filter after the first hour. Then change oil every four hours, filter every other time. Make sure to top off the coolant every ride. The starting will get better. make sure when you kick it over you start from the very top and be smooth. If you have not broke it in yet, ride it easy for 15 min. than let it cool off, do this a few times. You will find that bike starts very easy hoy or cold. Enjoy once you get used to it. I have friend who hated his 08' at first and now is in love with it. Get an hourmeter!

Here's a link on the fork issues for you:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=612798&highlight=factory+connection+harshness

and please do NOT top-off your radiator every time you ride. You'll just spit a bunch of coolant out for no reason each time you ride. I haven't put coolant in my bike this entire season and didn't add any all last year. What happens is the coolant will expand out to a certain level (as the bike warms up and spits out the excess as the cap pressure is violated) and you won't lose any more after that unless you have some sort of overheating episode. When the bike cools, air gets into the system and the coolant level will be lower than the lip of the radiator neck, but that is normal and the coolant level will rise to the neck each time you ride the bike. So, for coolant, "set it and forget it"! Unless you overheat her.

What Ed said about coolant. You shouldn't need to touch that for a very long time.

Don't baby the bike during break-in. After a brief 15 minute ride at a moderate pace, stop and let the bike cool down. After that, you are ready to hammer the bike hard. If you ride it too easy, the rings won't seat in properly. Change the oil and filter after your first day of riding. Do not use synthetic oil until you have 5 hours on the bike. This is also important for proper ring seal.

You are the correct weight and height for the stock bike. You shouldn't have to make any changes to the bars or springs. If you want a little more room in the cockpit, turn the bar mounts around and you'll gain a few mm's of reach. Ride the bike for few hours before you think about tweaking the suspension. The 08 has fairly heavy damping in the forks but that is a good thing if you ride sand tracks.

When starting the bike cold, pull the chock knob, twist the throttle wide open twice, then kick without touching the throttle. When it's very cold outside, you may need 3-4 twists of the throttle. Allow the bike to warm up for about 90 seconds without revving the bike like you use to on your old two stroke. Four strokes never foul plugs so that is unnecessary and is hard on the engine.

When starting the bike hot, kick without touching the throttle. If it doesn't fire on the first or second kick, pull in the hot start button next to the clutch lever and kick again without touching the throttle.

What Ed said about coolant. You shouldn't need to touch that for a very long time.

Don't baby the bike during break-in. After a brief 15 minute ride at a moderate pace, stop and let the bike cool down. After that, you are ready to hammer the bike hard. If you ride it too easy, the rings won't seat in properly. Change the oil and filter after your first day of riding. Do not use synthetic oil until you have 5 hours on the bike. This is also important for proper ring seal.

You are the correct weight and height for the stock bike. You shouldn't have to make any changes to the bars or springs. If you want a little more room in the cockpit, turn the bar mounts around and you'll gain a few mm's of reach. Ride the bike for few hours before you think about tweaking the suspension. The 08 has fairly heavy damping in the forks but that is a good thing if you ride sand tracks.

When starting the bike cold, pull the chock knob, twist the throttle wide open twice, then kick without touching the throttle. When it's very cold outside, you may need 3-4 twists of the throttle. Allow the bike to warm up for about 90 seconds without revving the bike like you use to on your old two stroke. Four strokes never foul plugs so that is unnecessary and is hard on the engine.

When starting the bike hot, kick without touching the throttle. If it doesn't fire on the first or second kick, pull in the hot start button next to the clutch lever and kick again without touching the throttle.

You were absolutely wright, stock setting is bang on target for my weight !

I really love this bike´s handling. And i thought my YZ250 -07 was nimble..

Again, thanks for all great input. 🙂

//Jörgen