Sign in to follow this  

Powder Coating the frame?

Who has done it? Anyone have black? Pictures? What did it cost? What is involved, taking it apart, etc? Any problems doing this, like putting it back together and everything fitting? Any new parts needed? Swingarm related? Or steering?

Who has done it? Anyone have black? Pictures? What did it cost? What is involved, taking it apart, etc? Any problems doing this, like putting it back together and everything fitting? Any new parts needed? Swingarm related? Or steering?

theres a guy in ogden and they do a great job had a mini powdered there, its always a good idea to replace head bearings and swingarm bearings since you have it all apart anyway, no problem with fit at all 🙂

also for a smaller frame like a 85 i think he charged 60 or 70 bucks for black, but he also does them in any color you can imagine

Was that with sand blasting? Is it hard to replace steering head bearings?

JAM- Your awesome! You answer my questions fast!

I used to get my frames stripped and powder coated but now get them degreased rubbed down and sprayed with 2 pack auto colour and baked in auto oven. They come out with a better finish and it seems to be just as tough.

No problems rebuilding just run a tap into any threads but are stiff with paint but not normally necessary.

Top head bearing is very easy to change. Bottom one can be a b*tch. It lives on the steering stem and in theory you should be able to tap it off with a wide angle screw driver. If it is jammed heat can help or cut it off with Dremmel, or I have even pressed out stem to get it off. The top and bottom races are pressed into the frame and they too can be difficult. Tapping out with aliuminium driver, heat, Dremmel, or blob of weld are all options.

Jam R is right that with the frame stripped down it is a good time to change the steering bearings but they should be changes as a set with the races. If it is to difficult, take the frame and triple clamp to a shop to get them to remove the bottom bearings and races and press in new races. They don't normally charge too much and saves hours of frustration 🙂

I powdercoated 2 frames. They sand blast it and then powedercoat it. If the races are in good shape, block them off with plates a through bolt.

Find a local powdercoater. Costs about $170 color coat and $220 with color coat and clear coat over it. Yes, they have powdercoat clear coat.

I think this is what im going to do. Buy steering and swingarm bearings, and buy a weld on stabilzer kit and put that on, and have everthing ready before it gets coated. This most likely isnt going to be done for a while but I will do it.

I had my 98 KX250 powder coated. They matched the green and did the swingarm in silver.

The frame was sand blasted for $50 and the coating cost something like $275 for the frame, sub frame and swingarm.

A good coater will plug all the threads and openings, but there still may be some overspray. You will need to clean that out with sand paper. Pay close attention to the rear suspension bearing bores!

I bought a little plastic assortment tray container so there were no lost bolts or anything. I marked every piece and took photos while disassembling.

98-KX250.jpg

Jeekinz that '98 looks BEAUTIFUL. Intersteing that you chose to go with the orig green for the frame. My '97 is just about to come apart again and I was wondering to go silver or metallic black or orig green ... and was tempted to keep with the orig green. Seeing yours you've just convinced me!

I have a retro Enjoy Black on Green Flames decal set that I'm going to put on.

I think i got just what your looking for. Powdercoated black on both frame a swingarm, it looks really good but i think i got hosed on what i paid for it. 125 for each piece and they didn't even have gloss black 🙂:D

KX1.jpg

I'm gonna have to get some better pictures of it sometime