Sign in to follow this  

Hard to start when hot..lame

Ive had my TC250 for about a week and any time i turn it off after its hot it just will not start!

I used the hot start and no compression release seemed to start faster that way when hot but i still had to let it sit for a few mins

It hasent been a big deal yet...

Any suggestions?

vapor lock?

just to hot outside?

all fluid are fresh!

probelly been about 95-100 when i have chances to ride but tomoro morn ill give it try

Ive had my TC250 for about a week and any time i turn it off after its hot it just will not start!

I used the hot start and no compression release seemed to start faster that way when hot but i still had to let it sit for a few mins

It hasent been a big deal yet...

Any suggestions?

vapor lock?

just to hot outside?

all fluid are fresh!

probelly been about 95-100 when i have chances to ride but tomoro morn ill give it try

My bike used to be a bear to hot start, but it was running lean. Check your jetting. Vapor lock would kill the engine while the engine was running, not after you shut it off.

On my TE 610 I had a case where my float needle was too low and the bike would draw too much fuel from the float chamber, therefore starting only when cold (same effect as choke) when hot it would not start under any circumstance. I accidentally found this out because as I unscrewed the float bowl screw on the bottom of the carb I reduced the pressure inside the carburettor and that made it draw that much less fuel and made hot starting way easier. The real cure was, however, to raise that needle with a screwdriver a slight bit (don't overdo it, mine snapped) and make it close on time. When I did this, the bike started up all the time. This would also explain why it starts easier with the hot start > leaner mixture, but still might be too rich if it draws too much fuel because of the needle.

when my Honda wouldn't start it was time to adjust the valves. they might be going tight

considering he's only had it a week i doubt it has that many hours on it lol.

my best guess is jetting, normally is the problem with hot start issues.

Yea but its a 2006 (listed in sig) that he's had for a week. good chance it's used

I would check the valves- just so you know they are in spec or not (when intakes get tight its hard to start hot)- but the carb/ jetting is also a likely culprit-

does it have an adjustable fues screw?- adjust it- turn it in 1/4 and test- could be float too as mentioned- also is your air filter properly cleaned and oiled (not soaked) that can make things rich too....

You don't know where its at as you haven't been the one taking care of it- so you have to explore some- check valves, clean carb, right doun jetting settings and go from there...🙂

Umm brand new air filter

yes its used but still has the original stock tires so idk how much..

thanks everyone!

ill start with the valves then to the carb!

Oh and my exhaust can has a dent about 1" in and about 3" long could i take of the endcap and pop it out?

Umm brand new air filter

yes its used but still has the original stock tires so idk how much..

thanks everyone!

ill start with the valves then to the carb!

Oh and my exhaust can has a dent about 1" in and about 3" long could i take of the endcap and pop it out?

"Umm Yea...." and when you get done with that why don't you check on those T-Files- okay... yea, thanks. 🙂

You should be able to get it straightend out- take it off the bike and use a wood block or something and press it out after opening it up. might as well concider repacking it and having rivets on hand if that's the way its attatched.

Hey, Make Sure That Dent Is Not The Factory One Put There To Clear The Rear Brake Caliper During Full Compression!!!!

Sounds like a rich Idle circuit to me - the fuel screw/idle jet combination.

When it is running adjust the idle screw as suggested in the Important Information sticky under "intake". My hunch is you could turn the fuel screw all the way in and it would still run ok cause you may have an oversized (factory stock) pilot jet. I believe mine was a 50 and 42 was much better in my 2006 TE250.

But... I would definitely check out what leak jet you have in the bottom of the fuel bowl too cause it may be a blank leak jet - which if you touched the throttle at all while kick starting it would give squirts of fuel into the carb.

There is a video in the Intake section of the Important Information sticky to show you where all the jets are if that is of any help.

Let us know how it turns out.

Trade it in for a KTM!🙂

Actually, I'm considering a husky down the road for racing, due to their great contingency program.

PS...I owned 2 huskys back in the early 80's, they were fun bikes, especiallly my 390OR.