Sign in to follow this  

South end Gifford update (work party today)

3 of us went up and worked our butts off today clearing 12+ good sized trees. satisfying to give back to a place you love to ride. My back is killing me. Anyway we cleared 80, 3, and 1 to the 29 road. I'm sure it is clear east of that. We also went over shark / kirk rock on 1 but got stopped by remaining snow drifts on the switchbacks on the west side near the top. We also cleared trail 4 which looked largely unused. I'm to tired to post pix but will tomorrow.

From what i saw Sunday from Juniper peak and today from boundary i think 259 might be ready to clean out / be accessible.

- I believe Tom and crew were up on 2 or 18 clearing today so we might have the south end all open soon.

Unbelievable how late in the year it is for this.

K

Thanks again for the invite! It was fun to see more of the trails at GP and help you guys open up more trail. Post some pics!

Thanks again for the invite! It was fun to see more of the trails at GP and help you guys open up more trail. Post some pics!

Thanks for the help!!! That was hard work. 🙂 pix coming.

Kelly...did the front trials tire scare you at all by washing out? I realize that you were working and had a lot of weight on your back, but you probably got some sense. Do you think it is such a huge difference that I will suffer at Gifford on Saturday? Maybe, it wasn't the smartest thing for me to do...try out a trials tire at Gifford?!?!

David

Kelly...did the front trials tire scare you at all by washing out? I realize that you were working and had a lot of weight on your back, but you probably got some sense. Do you think it is such a huge difference that I will suffer at Gifford on Saturday? Maybe, it wasn't the smartest thing for me to do...try out a trials tire at Gifford?!?!

David

Loved it. Worked great, tracks like nothing else and ignores root wads and rocks. Time will tell but so far i love it. I was packing a 40 pound pack with a chain saw in it so I'll need to get more real ride tom on it. I did get to ride some at nearly full speed w/o the pack and really liked it.

K

What a day! My shoulders and back are sore...:D That means it was a good ride. 🙂 We ran into a bit of snow on the 3 but it was passable. The snow on the switchbacks west of Kirk/shark rock on the boundary would have been a pain to get through, I think Kelly has some pictures of it.

Rick on the 3 trail

347557301_2T3CG-L.jpg

Kelly at the 3-17 intersection

347557619_LCyAr-L.jpg

Ricks folding saw was faster to use on some of the small stuff

347550533_pDog8-L.jpg

Still snow!

347550716_DrwQu-L.jpg

Rick at craggy peak

347550812_wfSpS-L.jpg

Kelly on the Boundary

347551695_3LHBR-L.jpg

347551830_RMG44-L.jpg

Switchbacks at Kirk rock

347552076_5WbA7-L.jpg

One of the many large trees

347552578_X9TyL-L.jpg

Rick going after a big one while Kelly documents.

347553205_hCQDd-L.jpg

Rick showing some style

347553565_sPMdt-L.jpg

Then I got tired and stopped taking pictures...

Later,

• Like 1

David

My first ride with a front trials was a 75 mile loop at gifford... Don't over think it, just ride it and you will be fine. 🙂 There were quite a few places I was wishing for a front trials yesterday, especially when my front tire climbed a bank and I crashed. :D

Later,

Looks fun...hard work, but fun! Thanks for giving back to our community guys. Actually I need to do more of this and maybe I'll finally get into shape! Is that how you keep so thin Jake?

Again, thanks for the front trials tire update! No more thinking about it...just doing.

David

Thanks for the hard work guys. I would have loved to help but I was stuck studying for my real estate license. Count me in for the next one though.

Nice work you guys! I hope to make it up there some time to check out the trails in person.🙂

Some dedication! Love it... I want to ride there really bad by the looks of these pictures. Thanks!

Greeting NW riders,

1st trip

I have a good retired friend, (luvs to rub it in) has been riding the Gifford area for many years. 3 yrs ago I got an invite to come up for some dirtbike riding. Oh yea, was I excited. Remember his 1st question, have you done any single track riding in the mtns? Gee, how hard can that be? Single track, guess that means that the trail is one way and only room for 1 vehicle.

Ok, my riding background, 35 yrs ago I had a honda 70 trail bike, 5 yrs ago I played around on a friends crf450 for about 6 hrs of riding.

So here I arrive with my gear & all, we setup camp and get ready to take off, I can see some logging roads out in the forest, are we going to ride those trails? Oh no, not allowed on those trails. Ok, where are we riding, follow me, he then disappears in the forest over the hill, I stopped at the top of the hill with no friend in site, ***, did he just disappear? Then I could hear him call out, holly sh** you want me to ride down what, I don’t see a trail, oh, it’s down here, this is a short cut.

I actually make it down the hill, can’t remember if I shut my eyes or not! Here we are at Cussed hollow (#19), and away I go. Well, to keep the story short, here are the trails that we rode over the course of 3 days. Cussed hollow (#19), Snyders pasture trail (#80A), Wright meadow trail #80, Boundary trail (#1), Badger lake & top of badger peak, Craggy peak (#3) trail into basin camp, Stabler camp trail down below the blue lake road.

I lost count on many times that I dropped the bike or the bike was laying on top of me. Got kind of interesting after sliding off a few berms, I’m thinking do we just leave the bike here & hike back to camp? Then the same question came up again & again, do you want me to get the bike out this spot for you. After awhile he didn’t even have to ask, I just gave him the ‘stare’.

I was kind of hoping that someone would steal the bike during the night so I wouldn’t have to ride the next day.

2nd trip

I learned something new, don’t ride over a log that is wet with no bark and on a slight angle, lost 2 ribs on that one during the first day of riding. My friend claims it was a twig but here in phoenix we would consider it a log.

3rd trip

Is coming up in Sept, this time I’m coming prepared, actually bought a dirtbike after the last trip, got a few tricks under my sleeve this time, 1) Standing up on the foot pegs. 2) Use both the front & rear brake at the same time. 3) Gripping the bike with my knees on the way up the hills. Feel free to share any other tips, God knows I will need them.

Below are a few videos & pics recently from the area. My buddy & his nephew are hard at work clearing the trails also for everyone to enjoy. Oh yea, he usually wears gear but says it to hot when clearing the trails, guess it comes from the old school riding before gear was available?

The trail that (used) to cross the bridge is the Wright Meadow Trail #80 where it crosses over Clear Creek.

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/danceswithcritters/?action=view&current=Picture011.flv

Top of Craggy peak

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/danceswithcritters/?action=view&current=Picture013.flv

Boundary trail, he carries a chain saw (green in pic) that is somehow rigged to where the headlight goes, hangs beside the front fork.

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/danceswithcritters/?action=view&current=Picture012.flv

Watch out for the bear in the area.

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/danceswithcritters/?action=view&current=PICT0023.flv

IMGP2064.jpg

IMGP2088.jpg

IMGP2081.jpg

• Like 1

That's pretty funny.

I don't know how many times I've been following my buddies when they went up, down, over, or around something and I was thinking "no way!".

Then, its monkey see, monkey do time. Most of the time it works. The other times, not so pretty.