Sign in to follow this  

08 450X Fuel Tank

Hi,

I'm fairly new to off-road and the 450X. I ride in the dubai desert and have recently bought a new 2008 bike.

My question is about the fuel tank and capacity/range. The ride we do is approximately 40-50K out, quick refuel and then the same back. The bike has had the airbox opened, baffle removed and rejetted, it's running great. The problem I have is that this distance (40-50KM) is on the limit of my range (a couple of times I have had to go onto reserve).

This morning I stopped for fuel with my friend (2005 450X) and his bike took 14AED (local currency) and mine only 6AED to fill up. This would suggest that his fuel tank is more than twice the size of mine... It looks like his tank is standard, i.e it's black and looks oem.. I then looked at some other older 450x's and they all seem to have a bigger tank than my 08.

My question is, can I fit a tank off an older model onto my 08 - will my plastics etc fit, is it a straight swap. Also what range should I be getting with my 08 tank? Is the 05 tank twice the size of my 08?

Thanks is advance.

Matt

Did you buy your bike new? If used it could be an R tank. You should easily get 100klm to a tank unless your on the pipe all the time.. even then it should be 80klm at worst. If your looking for a new tank check online and order a Safari tank or IMS and you will save $$ or just goto a local shop like Geckos if you cant wait. think IMS 14ltr is around 1250dhs

🙂

Yes it is very small, I can get between 40-50 miles depending on riding style before reserve.