Sign in to follow this  

To heavy for 250F ?

Hello

Im intressed in buying a 2009 KX250F but wonder if im to heavy? I weight around 215-220 lbs, ive tried 250F before and they seemed to work well and would probably work better with suspension for my weight.

So what do you guys say? any other heavy riders here?

I only ride motocross tracks and dont race just ride for fun and exorcise i like my 450 but it feels heavy sometimes especially in corners and i dont use all the power it has.

Give me your thougts

/Regards.

Just spring it for your weight and have fun! 🙂

I have had a few guys ride my bike that are 200+ on steep single track trails and they enjoyed it. One guy that switched with me was on a 450 KTM and he said my bike was much easier to control and had the power.

Sounds good! Ive tried honda crf 250 an kx250F and decided that if im going to buy a 250 it will be a kxf because it just felt soo much stronger.

I might get a 50 tooth rear sprocket, but my biggest concern is clearing jumps on a 250, whats youre opinion? Is it much harder then on the 450?

• Like 1

Sounds good! Ive tried honda crf 250 an kx250F and decided that if im going to buy a 250 it will be a kxf because it just felt soo much stronger.

I might get a 50 tooth rear sprocket, but my biggest concern is clearing jumps on a 250, whats youre opinion? Is it much harder then on the 450?

It depends on what type of track you are on. If you are ridding a motocross track it won't be a problem. If you get into a really tight supercross track you may run into some issues if you don't carry momentum in the corners to keep speed up to clear jumps direly after the corner. I ride a YZ450F and my brother rides a YZ250F. He doesn't have any problems with this because he can corner like no tomorrow. If I mess up in a corner at a supercross track I can power out of the corner to make the jump a bit better than my brother can.

I think you would be fine with the 250 as long as you spring the bike for your weight.

i only ride motocross so no supercross for me. Its the corner thing that wants me to get a 250 it fells like i could go so much faster into corners.

Does anyone know if the 250 is as stable as the 450 over whoops/bumps? cause the crf i tried felt very unstable in rear end over bumps but that might just be the suspension? it was probably way to soft for me with the original springs other then that the crf felt fine but i like the bottom/mid in kxf.

Feel free to give me more suggestions and thougts 🙂

Im really intresed in this new kx250F. I mostly ride pretty hard packed tracks and some muddy ones but how about sand tracks on a 250?

id say it depends on how competitive you want to be

for example an A rider that weighs around your weight would prolly be at a disadvantage

if your going to get one your deff going to need stiffer springs mo offense of course lol

If your worried about losing power but want a lighter bike why not consider a 250 2 stroke? I know I wouldn't wanna go 450f to 250 2t but it's always an option.

i weigh 220-225 and im on a ktm 250xcf. i was worried about getting a small bike and weighing so much

i love my 250 now. its very fun because u cant be a lazy rider, you gota work on these bikes. there fun and for my next bike i wont even consider a 450. jump wise- i have no problem clearing things really. im working on clearing a 80 foot table but that jump is right after a turn. i think that my bike is more capable then i am now.

2 stroke is out of the question they just feel hard to control compared to 4 stroke machines and. I like my 450 but im a lazy rider on it just cruising around on it.

i thougt a 250F would be better for me so i could ride a little more agressive and go faster in turns and evolve as a rider and hopefully loose some weight,atleast 15-20 pounds.

But thanks for all the answer 🙂 And feel free to post more thoughts.

My ideas: 250F set up the suspension with heavier springs for my weight, 50 tooth rear sprocker?

Any more suggestions?

I'm 220#, I LOVE my 250F. I can usually clear all the jumps at the tracks. If I were racing very competitively, i think you are at a disadvantage against 150lb riders. However, i can ride at mid-B level speeds no problem on my 250F. I think it is way more fun to ride than a 450.

I'm 220#, I LOVE my 250F. I can usually clear all the jumps at the tracks. If I were racing very competitively, i think you are at a disadvantage against 150lb riders. However, i can ride at mid-B level speeds no problem on my 250F. I think it is way more fun to ride than a 450.

Thanks for the great answer 🙂

What mods do you got on your bike? suspension i guess, but how about gearing etc?

Springs for sure.

My 06 YZ250F i ran stock gearing no problem. My 07 RMZ needed re-geared anyway. Get some time in on the stock gearing and decide from there. The 250F has decent torque and a great powerband spread. My opinion is on 95% of the tracks i ride, the 250F is more fun because the handling is quicker and lighter. My brother has a 250F and 450F and hardly rides his 450F.

Again, just my opinion (everyone's opinions are different), but at 220# I am still amazed at what my 250F can do !!

I recently sold my 06 CRF450R and I'm riding my son's 06 KX250F. It's funny that I feel like I'm having to work harder - yet I can do more laps on the KX. Seems like the 450 tires me out without me realizing it.

This is a bit of an exaggeration - but when I switch from the 450 to the 250, it almost feels like I'm riding a bicycle.

And losing 15 pounds will make a huge difference - at least it did for me.

The bike is set up for a 140lb rider by MB1 suspension. I'm 175 and it's working great for me. Never felt like it bottomed hard. I'll get it resprung once I get my son another bike but I can't believe how well it's working for me as is.