Sign in to follow this  

Rotella oil??

Hey guys whats this i here about people running rotella oil??? i mean iv been running motoerex since day one, i would love to not pay 50 buck a gallon but just the fact of running a cheap deisal truck oil worrys me. any one else have an input or suggestions??? thanks guys

I'm on a Yamaha YZ 426 not a KTM but I run the Rotella 15-40 in my bike and it works great. I did a search to see what people thought before trying this and it seems all people with all brands of bikes really like to use it and works well for them. It's my understanding since it's a diesel oil, and due to the dirty nature of diesels, that there are heavy detegents in the oil which help keep motor internals real clean. Also being a heavy duty oil it doesn't shear/break down as fast, which since my YZ shares engine and tranny oil was nice to know. Rotella also come in a synthetic formula, 5-40 I believe, if you want to go the synthetic rout.

its not a cheap oil, but not WAYY over priced like the motorcycle oils. Its synth and they are mostly the same from one maker to the next, with most oils made by a few companies and then marketed by many. I use it now, I get it at Walmart for $16 a gal.

I've been using Rotella T 15w-40 in my 2 stroke KTM's since 2003 and they still have the original clutches. My racers run Rotella T 15w40 in their 4 stroke KTM's too. I don't use the synthetic, just the regular 15w40

I have had no problems with it.

As often as you need to change the oil on a KTM, it can get real expensive using that high dollar oil.

You just don't want to use a oil with alot of modifiers in it like automotive oil.

It can mess with the wet clutch.

yeah was thinking about switching to the rotella synthetic. just was wanted some in put. dont wanna ruin my brand new over priced ktm lol thanks guys

I have been running Rotella,Delo,etc. since the mid 90's Husaberg days...the stuff works great and the fact that guys are willing to buy expensive motorcycle oils gives me a good chuckle...what I use now is Conoco or Coastal diesel oil,$8-9 a gallon vs. the $12-13 at Auto Zone. Saves even more $$..

I have been using Shell Rotella T full syn in ALL my vehicles for several years now with great results. It is actually cheaper by the quart bottle at my local Wally World. I pay 3 bux a quart for the syn.

Gotta luv it!!

DBM

I'd be a lot happier if the Rotella was a 50 weight.

I've run Mobil-1 gold cap (extended performance) 15w-50 in my 625 SXC for last 4000 miles. So far no issue (it has a similar capacity to the RFS).

There is also a M1 15w-50 silver cap.

The HTRacing guys told me "RFS bikes like 15-50 Mobil One pure synthetic" but it was unclear which version he was talking about.

Diffs between silver/gold is http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_FAQs.aspx#FAQs2

Not sure what the price diff is, at a 1000 mile change interval I'd imagine the silver would be fine but there is always the gearbox shearing factor to consider. Maybe I'll send in a sample of the gold at next change and switch to the silver and do same.

If you are talking about Mobil 1 automobile oil you need to use the RED cap version ONLY. ALL other M1 auto oils have friction modifiers, and will fry your wet clutch with moly.

DBM

If you are talking about Mobil 1 automobile oil you need to use the RED cap version ONLY. ALL other M1 auto oils have friction modifiers, and will fry your wet clutch with moly.

DBM

They don't make the red cap anymore. Havn't for a while. I figure the guys at HT Racing (who make the RFS oil cooler) have some level of useful experience.

Where is your data from regarding the "other M1 auto oils". Usually friction modifiers are only in the oils labeled as energy conserving such as the 30 weights.

I am not an oil engineer...I just always heard from my tuner buddies that M1 red cap was the only one to use if you just had to have that brand oil in your scooter. I had no idea that they stopped making red cap because I never used it myself. I used to pay 10 bux a quart for Maxima Ultra until I found Rot T syn. Nuff said.

DBM

Shell Rotella T 15-40 in the white bottle.🙂 I used to run Chevron Delo 400 until they added friction reducers. Deisel oil is good stuff, don't let the motorcycle oil only guys fool you.

I am not an oil engineer...I just always heard from my tuner buddies that M1 red cap was the only one to use if you just had to have that brand oil in your scooter. I had no idea that they stopped making red cap because I never used it myself. I used to pay 10 bux a quart for Maxima Ultra until I found Rot T syn. Nuff said.

DBM

Your info was good about 6 years ago, red cap was what everyone ran. Good till this point. They stopped making it a long while ago. Gold/silver cap is the equiv 15w-50. I think your assertion that because these are not the red cap they therefore contain friction modifiers isn't valid.

I've no clue on Rotella. Like I said, the guys at HT Racing recommended the M1 15w-50 to me a few weeks ago. Said this is what they recommend running in their HT Racing Oil Cooler for the RFS bikes and I doubt they were referring to red cap. I e-mailed them asking if it's the silver or the gold, has to be one of the two.

Maybe Rotella is good stuff. No experience. If the bike called for a 40 weight I'd run it no worries. I'm no oil expert either. KTM specifies a 10w50 for temps over freezing and a 5w40 for under freezing, not particularly useful info as I'm guessing this has a lot to do with the cold cranking viscosity.

So I want 15w-40 synthetic or regular?

I have a 07 525EXC no rekluse or anything. I know the manual says 5w-40 for warm weather which is why I ask.

What are you guys running in the tranny?

I know the manual says 5w-40 for warm weather which is why I ask.

5w-40 for COLD weather. The lower number is a function of viscosity when starting and that is impacted by ambient temperature. Somewhere is a graph of temp and viscosity showing what viscosities work for what temps when starting.

Another happy Rotella user here. I've been using it for a couple of years on three different bikes with excellent results, clutch seems to last longer too. I use the 15w-40 regular, $8.88 at my local Walmart.

jbo

🙂

I run the Rotella T syn in engine and trans.

DBM

Another happy Rotella user. I've been using it (full synth) my last 2 bikes. WR450 supermoto, and KTM 560smr. No problems whatsoever. My 560 has 35+ hrs on it's current clutch. I buy the big blue gallon at Wally-World for around 18.00.

18.00 divided by 4 = 4.50 a quart. The last time I was at WW I found the syn in quart bottles priced at 3.00 per quart. This may have been a pricing mistake, but I snatched them up quick.

DBM