Sign in to follow this  

loss in low end with hotcams?

I used my stage 2 hotcam for the first time last week and there was a major loss in my low end power, my valve clearance is at .13 and it recommends .15 could this be my problem? Im going to mess with my jetting, I think its alittle rich but if that dosnt work this thing is coming out!

Make sure your jetting is spot-on. I used Stage II cams to feed the increased displacement in the high RPM range on my 05 Athena 290. The higher displacement covered the low end but jetting was critical.

Also, since the engine required a "big full stroke" or Two Stroke style flutter kick for reliable starts, hot or cold, I went back to the stock exhaust cam(for starting reliability) with the stage II intake. It still ran well on top and may have improved the bottom end. Try that before you pitch them.

I put Stage 2's in my bike and didn't like the loss of low end so I put in Stage 1's and am pretty happy with that.

My bike has a 262 kit so I was hoping the bigger motor and higher compression would make up for the low end loss but it didn't work out that way for me.

check your timing i know the hot cams have the movable cam gear make sure it is set right. IF you lost alot of bottom end your advanced if you loose top your timing is retareded.

get a megabomb header for your bottom end to come back. you can also redegree the cams for a less of a top end increase, if you ride it in its power band, it will really rip though

I only have the intake stage 2 installed right now, I forgot to mention that I have a wb carbon pro 2 which is more of a top end pipe I believe so that could also be part of my problem. I jetted my bike really rich in order to compensate for the pipe but I think I can go alot leaner down low but up top it feels perfect, tons of power:thumbsup: I just need that low end to get me out of those corners.