Sign in to follow this  

Is it possible?

Me and my friend were riding yesterday. 🙂 I decided to see what my 230 could do, so I gave it all I got. Despite the fact that I scared the crap out of myself cuz I've never ridden that fast before, I was actually starting to pull away from my friend who rides a YZ250f that was pimped out for harescrambles. :D He claims that he could barely keep up. Is it possible that with a few mods I could race a 230?

Sure. But, it's heavy, lacks suspension capability etc. But, if you're racing trails, top speed isn't always the key in racing. Rider skill plays a HUGE roll.

i did it... use the right tool for the job.

its not an mxer...

but its a potent trail weapon in the right hands.

Yes, with some new tires, suspension improvements(look at the stickies), and a lot of practice, no doubt you could do it, and be competitive. I just dont like the 6-speed, too much time spent shifting, I prefer wider ratios.

Yes, with some new tires, suspension improvements(look at the stickies), and a lot of practice, no doubt you could do it, and be competitive. I just dont like the 6-speed, too much time spent shifting, I prefer wider ratios.

i found a 14/49 combo easily remidied this. when racing hare scrambles i can easily lug 3rd gear around or rip in 2nd for most of the single track.

Cool. . .it sounds like I could make the 230 work.

I need suspension mods, but funds are very limited right now.

From what I hear, the Works Performance rear shock is the best option for the rear suspension setup. What are some effective ways to upgrade the forks?

I'm running a Works Performance shock and the difference from stock has to be experienced.... It's worth the money!

The fork springs are progressive rate, so spacers cut and installed on top of the springs will stiffen them up a bit. I'm still running 5wt oil because I like the plushness for most of the trail riding I do, but they are a little soft for the larger jumps. People have gone to 10 to 20wt oil, but in the past my experience with other bikes has been a trade-off for harsher fork operation.

I'll give 10wt a try eventually, but for now they work...... ok.

I built a 230 thats track worthy. If you have the time and the money, you can make these bikes perform extremely well. The total cost of my project (the bike itself, works performance rear shock, CR85 forks w/re-valve, 14/48 gearing, carb jetting/BBR exhaust, maxcross IT tires, and a boat load of other crap) so far, has been $6124.01

I've considered the emulators myself. What's the cost to benefit report?

I have since upgraded to USD forks.....but the emulators do WONDERS for the forks.

they are very easy to put in.

you drill the damper rods ( that sounds like an expensive precision part.......but its not) damper rods are 20 bucks a piece if i remeber right. it you are half decesnt with a hand drill you are in good shape.

all you do is drill 6 holes in the sides of the damper rods to allow the oil to flow freely.

one other trick....go to an auto parts store and buy one of those magnetic parts grabber thingies.....the ones that look like an antenne.

i bought one of those and it made it a breeze to pull the emulators to adjust.

the factory setting worked well for me.

Good luck

vmeadows

As a matter a fact I know a guy who races hair scrambles on 150s and 230s against 450s and 250s.. and he is actually VERY sucessful

the 230 is hella nimble in tight off road trails. with the right suspension upgrades you can make it a pretty potent off road racing weapon.

I'll give it shot on the 230. The only thing bugging me is the money envolved. I've never really wrenched on a bike much (This is my first bike) but this will be an excellent opportunity to learn. But still, the money envolved. With a teenager's salary, I can't get very far with upgrades before I go broke.

Don't worry about the upgrades. DO the free mods and learn to ride the wheels of of it. You kids all think that a ton of upgrades will make you faster.

It sounds like this will be your first bike right? Just ride it and have a blast, nobody cares if you come in first place, and if you can, with a stock bike, all the better.

Don't worry about the upgrades. DO the free mods and learn to ride the wheels of of it. You kids all think that a ton of upgrades will make you faster.

It sounds like this will be your first bike right? Just ride it and have a blast, nobody cares if you come in first place, and if you can, with a stock bike, all the better.

I have uncorked it, but I can't think of other free mods besides rejetting.