Sign in to follow this  

Big money for those 50SX's -- worth it?

My 8 year old is outgrowing his XR50, and more than that, has finally started showing a preference for riding style = MX (over trail). I'd been looking pretty seriously at the 110s (KLX and TT-R) but I'm thinking he might be better off with the greater mx focus the 50SX's bring to the table.

But MAN, what a price jump. Street prices for new 110s isn't much more than $1,500, and considering he'll be growing out of it in a few years...

Is pre-owned an option with these, or are they usually pretty beat? For an 8-10 year old, how much of a difference, on a track, would something like a 50SX be versus those 4-stroke 110s?

Aaron

I'm not sure but id think your son would be able to hold onto longer and get faster on the 50 SX. but I'm not sure if the bike justifies the price.

FWIW, I think the KLX 110s are awesome. I'd go that route and if he out rides that, then I would look into more expensive bikes. The KLX's and TT-R's have a big aftermarket following too, so upgrades are plentiful......If he's an aggressive rider already, then he might be better off on a 50SX.

Watch out buying a used 110. They're real popular with adults and they sometimes rag them out. Look it over real well and look for cracked frames/blown suspension, etc.

My 8 year old is outgrowing his XR50, and more than that, has finally started showing a preference for riding style = MX (over trail). I'd been looking pretty seriously at the 110s (KLX and TT-R) but I'm thinking he might be better off with the greater mx focus the 50SX's bring to the table.

But MAN, what a price jump. Street prices for new 110s isn't much more than $1,500, and considering he'll be growing out of it in a few years...

Is pre-owned an option with these, or are they usually pretty beat? For an 8-10 year old, how much of a difference, on a track, would something like a 50SX be versus those 4-stroke 110s?

Aaron

check out the 50sx in my garage..my lil bro outgrew it and its in just as good shape as it was when we got it! its an 04 i think.. and i believe it just needs a clutch part right now..but other than that its in BEAUTIFUL shape..the right price and dad may sell it?

I'm going to look at an 07 Senior 50 on Sunday. They're asking $1,700. How soft is the market on these?

I haven't been to the mx races in a few years, but they used to be the bike to have. IDK if that's changed in the last 5 years or not. That sounds like a decent price to me if it's in good condition.

You will always have a better deal on these bikes at the seasons end or start..

I was amazed at how many bike sales went on at the final day of LL's this year. My buddy bought his RMZ last year on the final day..

Being from Michigan, Im partial to Cobra's..

You will always have a better deal on these bikes at the seasons end or start..

I was amazed at how many bike sales went on at the final day of LL's this year. My buddy bought his RMZ last year on the final day..

Being from Michigan, Im partial to Cobra's..

where ya at in MI? I'm in Manton, about 15 mins north of Cadillac.. Yeah when we rode at Baja Acres it was always tons of Cobras on the line but our 50 sx would run with em because of its great suspension! 🙂

I was asking about the maintenance on these bikes over on KTMTalk, and I could, um, use a second opinion, as it's a bit discouraging...

"The KTM is an all out race bike and will not hold up to just play riding. They are made to go WOT for less than 20 minute durations. My kids have killed them in less than a day. At 6 hrs of constant non stop riding it will be ready for a complete re-build with a kid who will go WOT. It will probably last less than 2 hrs with someone who blips the throttle."

Killed them in less than a day? 6 hours of constant non-stop riding it will be ready for a rebuild? Is it that narrow focused? 6 hour riding days are pretty typical for us, as a matter of fact.

Hey Kitchener,

You will likely get better results posting in TT's PEE Wee forum here: https://thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=398

And to answer your question, it is unlikely that the Sr's will need that much maintenance. They will need a bit more than what you are used too. The CRF is basically bullet proof. Fill it up and ride, change the oil once in a while and clean the filter.

The KTM will be the same except, you'll change oil every ride. The Oil lubes the clutches on them and there isn't a whole lot of capacity. You will go through washers on the 3 shoe clutch but I'd say every 20-30 hours they last. Likely less if he blips a lot. Top ends should be done about every 30 hours as well. If you are racing rings can be replaced after every 10 hours. Not hard but you will be wrenching on these. I rather enjoy it after a while. Oh, you'll be going through a few rear tires too.

We went from the CRF50 to KLX110 to KTM65 then got a Lem R3 to bridge the gap. The KLX is a great little bike, good and reliable. Not really made for MX - you'll be sorry if that is your intention. If you want your kid to be competitive and really improve, get a Racing 2 stroke. Suspension is 10times better and the power is awesome. They all run in the 11 1/2 - 12 1/2 hp range. Unless modded.

I chose the Lem as I have great dealer support. John3x is a member here. He is a LEM/Cobra dealer but works on anything mini. He is available to answer any of your questions.

Hope to see you in the mini forum soon 🙂

I was asking about the maintenance on these bikes over on KTMTalk, and I could, um, use a second opinion, as it's a bit discouraging...

"The KTM is an all out race bike and will not hold up to just play riding. They are made to go WOT for less than 20 minute durations. My kids have killed them in less than a day. At 6 hrs of constant non stop riding it will be ready for a complete re-build with a kid who will go WOT. It will probably last less than 2 hrs with someone who blips the throttle."

Killed them in less than a day? 6 hours of constant non-stop riding it will be ready for a rebuild? Is it that narrow focused? 6 hour riding days are pretty typical for us, as a matter of fact.

yea i had friends who got the 50 and the clutches went out on them alot

i say get a 110, then go for a 65.

As Fryboy suggested, I cross-posted a similar question about the Sr 50 versus the 110s over in the Pee Wee forum. However, specific to the Sr 50, just how tough is a clutch re-build? I'm not too technical, but a shop manual doesn't intimidate me if it's not too, too involved.

Well, its not bad at all. They are a serious race bike. We raced them for 3 seasons. We had 2 of them, a 2002 and a 2004. The 2004 had the TH racing motor from TH Racing and it would rip. We went 2 seasons and never touched the top end, compression was still top notch the day we finally sold it. The trick is to learn "clutch service" which will require some special equipment which I got from K2 Parts and once you have the clutch service down, its all easy from there. Setting the clutch up will depend on your rider. You can adjust them about anyway you like. But depends on your rider. We had our secret stack and if you kid is out in front, others will try to get it from you. Other great 50's are Polini and Cobra's. The KTM's look the best though. Dont get the KTM unless you just want to become a serious track rider. These are no good for trails. If he wants to ride trails also, you will need a second bike.

Have you considered a kawasaki kx65? Great for motocross and some trails, not quite as much maintenance though..

He said on an 05 KX65 yesterday at the local track. His tip toes aren't quite hitting the ground, yet, unfortunately. If they were, I'd have to do some thinking about introducing a new control to learn (a clutch), though I don't know if that'd be a deal-breaker. In fact, we were there to look at a kid's 07 Senior 50, and he'd moved to an RM65. I asked him about the clutch aspect, and his dad laughed. Said he doesn't think he uses it! Anyway, still a little too big, is the short answer.

Not to promote Kawasaki on the KTM board but in regards to the seat height on the KX-60/65, Berg Racing USA, if they are still in business made a adjustible link which allows you to lower the rear end. They also made a auto-clutch which worked pretty good to eliminate the need to shift.

He said on an 05 KX65 yesterday at the local track. His tip toes aren't quite hitting the ground, yet, unfortunately. If they were, I'd have to do some thinking about introducing a new control to learn (a clutch), though I don't know if that'd be a deal-breaker. In fact, we were there to look at a kid's 07 Senior 50, and he'd moved to an RM65. I asked him about the clutch aspect, and his dad laughed. Said he doesn't think he uses it! Anyway, still a little too big, is the short answer.

The KX65 rear is adjustable and I think the pull rod is a Kawasaki part..