Break In - Hours vs. Miles?

Hi,

I am currently breaking in my 2008 TE250 - I have read the different easy vs. hard threads and the Husky Owner's Manual as well. I currently have 11 hours and 160 miles on the bike, yes you read that correctly:bonk: - I have been following the easy break in method with the goal being 500 miles. Should the 500 mile mark be the break in goal regardless of hours? At my current pace I will have roughly 35 hours and 500 miles on the bike ?! Just looking for some advice on whether to watch hours or miles. Thanks and sorry for another break-in thread.

You're more patient than me. You should be 'feeling' the engine loosening/freeing up. I understand the easy break-in guidelines are to avoid lugging and avoid high rpm, should not make a ton of difference whether you do this at a slow MPH or fast MPH...

Change the oil much more than you think you should, don't overheat it, and ride it without intentionally flogging it.

Not sure I answered your direct question, but food for thought.

Hi,

I am currently breaking in my 2008 TE250 - I have read the different easy vs. hard threads and the Husky Owner's Manual as well. I currently have 11 hours and 160 miles on the bike, yes you read that correctly:bonk: - I have been following the easy break in method with the goal being 500 miles. Should the 500 mile mark be the break in goal regardless of hours? At my current pace I will have roughly 35 hours and 500 miles on the bike :D! Just looking for some advice on whether to watch hours or miles. Thanks and sorry for another break-in thread.

11 hours sounds broken in to me, i believe they mention 500 miles which would be taken even at an average of 40 mph would be 12.5 hours close enough. you are obviously riding yours on trails for that kind of mileage...if it makes you feel more confused i think they should be broken in hard from the start..i know everybody argues about it but i have a 250 also with 40hours on it and every one of those are race hours except 2 maybe. ?

anyhow you ll get plenty of differing opinions ..but id say even now you are past the easy break in period ..open it up :worthy:

I'm pretty sure this is George's (Uptite Husqvarna) easy break-in methodology. I averaged about 20 mph over 25 hours to get to the 500 mi. point.

How to get started:

1. It's OK to begin this process with the oil already in the bike.

2. Start the bike and let it idle until the bottom of the radiator gets warm.

*with a new bike and how easily they heat up, this will take less than 5 minutes.

3. Putt around a parking lot at a very low RPM (2000 - 3000) to further warm-up the engine. Once you feel heat from the engine case (?), turn it off and let it cool down and repeat again before proceeding to 4.

*this should take less than 15 minutes.

4. Cruise around the streets or fire/forest roads and do not exceed 4000 RPMs for at least 2 - 3 hours (not necessarily all on one ride). Vary speed/rpms and exercise as many gears as the parameter will allow (less than 4000 RPMs and no lugging/bucking). Just to be sure, don't lug the machine to the point that it starts to buck.

5. After 2 - 3 hours of the above, ride it a little more normally without exceeding 5000 RPMs until 500 to 600 mile of this type of riding has been accomplished.

*change the oil at 50, 150, 250, 350, 450 miles - Spectro Offroad 4 20w50 Petrolium.

*clean 3 filters with gas

*change paper filter, cut open to inspect and use a paper towel to clean out the housing area for the paper filter - this will collect metal bits and whatnot the best.

6. At 600 miles clean the filters, change the paper filter and inspect and change oil to Spectro Offroad 4 Petroleum/Synthetic Blend and be careful on your next ride.

*at this point you can do the power-up kit, race gas blend, etc etc.

Did the Mojave Trail 150 miles or so last April. One of our riders had a new 08 TE 510 with about 100 miles on it, still had the Smog cannisters hanging on it. He had no problems & never missed a beat all the way. Main culprit of problems is over revving in my humble opinion:excuseme: