Sign in to follow this  

2002 crf450 reliability

im looking to get a 02 crf450 because i live in CA and want a green sticker bike

how is the reliability on them?

i heard things about the head seizing up and stuff about the valves warping

if anyone has owned one and could tell me about em.

Put some stainless steel valves in place of the Titanium valves. Then should be reliable. This is my experience from having one.

im looking to get a 02 crf450 because i live in CA and want a green sticker bike

how is the reliability on them?

i heard things about the head seizing up and stuff about the valves warping

if anyone has owned one and could tell me about em.

As long as you maintain it like you should, they are as reliable as you make them.🙂 If you plan on desert riding, I would suggest a bigger tank or shorter trips, because they down fuel relatively quickly. I've never had a problem with my '04 or '05 as far as valves or the head seizing up. I would assume you mean the cylinder head, and not the steering head?

Just a note: The '02 has the same everything(except for exhaust and plastics I belive, someone correct me if I'm wrong) as the '03 and '04, which means it's heavier than the '05 and newer bikes.

The head doesn't "seize up" and the valves don't "warp".

I had an '02, I had to re-seal the airbox (faulty by design), then ended up doing a valve job several months later.

Other than that, it was a good bike.

You might want to look into 20mm triple clamps or a Storm Link. The front end pushed from the factory due to an issue with the shock linkage.

The shock linkage/shock and airbox seal was fixed in '03.

Ive had good luck with my 02. Mines for sale on TT classified - pricey - but runs fantastic. Some people didn't like the front rake but it can be corrected with Fastway rear adjustable linkage. Set up right, you'll never need the hot start and should start 2nd to third kick - good luck!