Sign in to follow this  

straight rate eibach or progressive?

I ordered .48kg front and 7.6kg rear springs from kientech but wondering if maybe I should have gone progressive? Jesse informed me progressive only do a single spring with no weight variation. I wanted something to suit a 80-90kg rider thats mostly used onroad for a nice plush but firm ride that doesn't dive so much under acceleration, braking and cornering

So far i'm assuming progressive are designed for a rider of a different weight or a different purpose. But would like confirmation, has anyone tried both or have input one or the other?

And should I get the shock revalved? how exactly does it help as opposed to just upping the spring rate

Oh BTW I havn't actually got them yet so no comments on ride quality thus far, other than I hate the stock sloppy mess particularly under braking and its about damn time I did something about it

The stock springs are progressive if that is any help. The bad thing about them is that they are soft initially and then firm up more farther into the travel. I am sure you know this. But, anyhow I can tell you from experience, that the straight rate springs are much firmer and don't dive like the stock progressive ones do. I haven't spoken with anyone about the aftermarket progressive springs. Does anyone else know how they perform? Also, as far as revalving goes, I spoke with Jessie about emulators and his advise is what I will give you, try them without before you shell out the cash for them, I am happy enough without them and don't think they would be that big of an improvement cost/effect wise. There again, I don't have experience with the emulators, but they are pricey and seem a bit of a pain to install, plus you have to take the forks apart to adjust em.

Cheers,

Eli

I just installed my Progressive springs last weekend, and so far they seem like a good improvement. I haven't done any long rides yet but the brake diving is better. I wanted progressive springs for a smooth on-road ride over poor road conditions which are prevalent in California. They could still be a little firmer, so I may try to adjust the preload more. By the way, I'm 180 pounds.

Back when I was making the switch, Jesse told me that I would be happier with straight rate so I took his advice and I'm pleased with them. The brake dive was totally unacceptable with the stocks springs.

For your weight I think either one will be a big improvement over stock. It seems to me that the big advantage of the Eibachs is the choice of spring rates. If you were over 90 or 100kg the availability of stiffer springs would be more important.

As far as re valving the shock, ride it with the new springs first and see for yourself. Some people are perfectly happy with just the new springs. Others that have ridden bikes with better suspension and/or ride their bikes harder find the stiffer springs make the damping even worse.

Thanks all, yeah I figured progressive would be a bit mushy still and there would be a little too much diving. The stock springs progessive or not shouldn't ever be manufactured in the first place, horrible choice of spring rate. Has anyone actually seen the front end of a DR when its braking? it'll get within an inch or so of bottom out on grass

I had an RM250 before I bought the DR and I know what a good suspension is suposed to feel like! Even though the RM scared me to death the suspension and ride quality was fantastic I kinda miss it :D, but I'm not aloud to trail ride with an RM in wisconsin so the next best thing was the DR (which I love) I know I could put RM forks on front, but for what I do with the DR I will just put the Eibach springs in... man I miss that RM!🙂

I have the Eibach's front and rear and they actually made the ride even smoother than stock with a little better road feel(firmer). After riding with them for the last month or two, I think I could have went even stiffer than what was suggested.

I switched to the progressive and went abit longer on the preload spacer and topped up my oil level to the appropriate 51/2" from top and my break dive is all but gone now and it was horrible before on the trails every tight turn was a nose dive and steep hills :D:worthy: but now i love em they are way way better 🙂

Thats good to hear. Think I might be a bit happier with the straight rate springs though cause I can sort of imagine it being a little squishy when i'm wringing its neck in tight bends. Hopefully these springs will get here soon along with my acerbis fender and braided brake line 🙂

I told myself i'd put $1000 into this bike, so far $480 down for those bits