Sign in to follow this  

Farkles for trail riding?

I already added hand guards. I took the rubber pads off the foot pegs. Anything else you all consider "required" for hard core WAY off the beaten path riding?

The muffler sure looks a bit unprotected between the frame and the front wheel.

Eventually, I'll order the Super Stock foot pegs.

Would a bigger than stock skid plate be a worthy investment? do they make 'em for the DRZ?

The covers for the clutch and generator cases are a deffinate buy and they are fairly cheap, also alot better than a gear or brake lever going where it shouldn't. http://shop.thumpertalk.com/DRZ_Case_Shields_p/bp_cfc_case.htm

The radiator guards/braces are another good buy. Radiators aren't the strongest of things against rocks. Many use Unabiker but there are plenty of manufactures that make some. There are specific E and S ones though so double check before you buy. http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/bp_unabiker_radguard.htm

The header should be alright and if its the stock header its plenty thick enough to defflect small houses I should think.

Larger footpegs make a whole world of difference. And they look cool.

The standard glide plate is ok but the plastic side bits won't stand alot of abuse. A full skid plate would protect everything but particully the water pump. You can get som in carbon which I personally love but for full off road duties its abit tarty..

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/Body_s/900.htm

Hope this helps you out.. 🙂

• A quality tube patch kit.
  • Two or three spoons, a mini can of wd-40, and a mini container of baby powder for changing a flat in the field.
  • A good 12V air pump to reseat the tire bead after changing the tube.
  • A 12V accessory outlet hardwired to the battery to power the air pump.

And spare tubes.

What the heck are "farkles"?

Honestly, I don't know where it comes from, but its accessories. Heated grips, magnetic drain plugs, hand guards, etc etc etc...

I've bounced mine off of everything I could find, and so far I've found three critical items (as already pointed out)

1. Rad Guards....I have Unabikers, bullet proof

2. Case savers....using TT on both sides, so far they have been excellent

3. Skid Plate......no clue what make mine is (Moose, I think), but it's way tough

The word Farkle belongs to the vernacular of the North American motorcyclist, and refers to accessories or the act of accessorizing a motorcycle.

Farkles may include any accessories but especially those intended to increase the function of a motorcycle -- vs. those intended to glamorize (i.e. if an accessory is chromed, it is probably not a farkle - see Bling.)

Examples include items that do not arrive as standard equipment on the motorcycle, such as Radar detectors, GPS systems, heated grips, satellite radios, highway pegs, or top and side cases.

source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_farkle

Well we can establish its adding stuff but we now need to settle on whether its "bling" (like Bronc3 suggests) or "functional" (as RetroRanger/Wikipedia suggests).. lol

Look what you've started Smokey!! haha

🙂

Isn't it a word from the movie Johnny Dangerously? Cork sucking bastages,this is farkling warg!

Boy, I hope enough of you have seen the movie to get this.

What the heck are "farkles"?

I think they are those frilly streamer thingies that hang the the end of hand grips.🙂

Anything else you all consider "required" for hard core WAY off the beaten path riding?

The muffler sure looks a bit unprotected between the frame and the front wheel.

FYI, you're referring to the header or head pipe, which is the section of the exhaust system that is attached to the cylinder. (The muffler is the silencer or can section at the end of the exhaust system.) The head pipe is pretty strong, although it is possible to dent it. But I have never seen anyone put a pipe guard on a 4-stroke head pipe.

So you want to go hard core, eh? To repeat some of what has already been said, you need:

Heavy duty skid plate

Radiator guards

Case savers

Stronger handlebars

Larger fuel tank

Suspension sprung and valved for your weight and riding speed

Full protective gear for your body.

Then you can go here:

DSCF0763.jpg

DSCF0769.jpg

FYI, you're referring to the header or head pipe, which is the section of the exhaust system that is attached to the cylinder. (The muffler is the silencer or can section at the end of the exhaust system.) The head pipe is pretty strong, although it is possible to dent it. But I have never seen anyone put a pipe guard on a 4-stroke head pipe.

Ya, you are right. I know the diffrerence between the header and muffler. I don't know what I was thinking when I put muffler.

Anyways, thanks for the info. Nice pics.

Definately get what others listed. But also loctite all of the stuff in the FAQ section, remove the kickstand kill switch, extra fuse, & maybe some cheap used plastic.