Sign in to follow this  

Axle block setting, what is normal?

What do ya think? Too short? The bolts get pretty tight going shorter. This was taken before I put the 49 tooth on, going up 1 in the rear. So, the trail is getting shorter. I flipped the blocks and extended the bolts. I also put some anti seize on them.

Wondering if I should lengthen the chain when replaced, or not.

ACF8B72.JPG

What do ya think? Too short? The bolts get pretty tight going shorter. This was taken before I put the 49 tooth on, going up 1 in the rear. So, the trail is getting shorter. I flipped the blocks and extended the bolts. I also put some anti seize on them.

Wondering if I should lengthen the chain when replaced, or not.

ACF8B72.JPG

Hey mossy...

That is getting pretty short...although I think it probably still OK.

I wonder what it does to the overall bike geometry and ride quality. It has to have some kind of effect...slightly less straigh-line stability, a tendency for quicker turn in especially at slower speeds...this might be a plus on a tight ST...a greater tendency to lift the front end on hill-climbs...this might be a negative on some of the stuff at Brushy.

-Jay

it definitely plays a role, but I haven't noticed a big difference yet. Now that I have the 49 on (after pic), I notice a difference. I believe I am going to a longer chain next time to gain a little stability. I have typically run more trail on my other bikes.

I just wanted to get opinions or comaparisons to what you guys are running. It's even shorter now after installing the 49 tooth.

as long as you have adjustment left and the chain tensioned correctly, it should be fine.

FYI doing that affects wheelbase, not trail. Trail is suspension geometry in the front

as long as you have adjustment left and the chain tensioned correctly, it should be fine.

FYI doing that affects wheelbase, not trail. Trail is suspension geometry in the front

As Jay said, less stability and easier turning.

ok, well ya know what I mean.

As Jay said, less stability and easier turning.

well, I like more wheelbase. Having the wheen tucked too far in also affects sag and how the susp works, so I will be going with another link or two when it's time for a chain.

I need to count the links.

Having the wheel tucked too far in also affects sag and how the susp works, so I will be going with another link or two when it's time for a chain.

Yep......I prefer a longer wheelbase too.

I recently shortened my chain a link and reversed the axle blocks to shorten the wheelbase. Its just what the others have said. More drama on rough trail or low traction, the rear sometimes comes around to say hi. But in the tight GA woods, it does help me get around the turns easier. Try it with your old chain before you replace it and see if you like, if you don't like, at least you know.

I checked my chain length last night, it was 114 links. I believe 116 is standard on the big bikes. Should it be the same on the 200? If so, no wonder my rear end is tucked.🙂

At 6'2", I like to run as long a chain as possible, to get the axle all the way back. Stock, the bike came with the axle way forward. Moving it back helps plant the front end for me. This may not be a big issue for someone shorter, but at my height I just can't comfortable ride as far forward on the bike as my 5'3" girfriend does.

I personally like mine all the way back, helps climb better, and creates a more stable bike imo, but I wouldnt change it untill I had to

alright, is 116 links standard on the 200??

dmac, I will be due a chain before long anyway, so I will be making the change before long.

What is the number of teeth on a stock sprocket on your bike?

What is the number of teeth on a stock sprocket on your bike?

stock 48 in the pic, now it has a 49, to offset the larger trials tire.

llama, dave mac, how many links do y'all run?? what is stock??

llama, dave mac, how many links do y'all run?? what is stock??

Umm. I dunno. I always order the longest size (120 links) and then cut off what I don't need. I think stock was 114, and I think I'm running 118 now, but I honestly don't count them except when I'm replacing a setup I like.

I am running stock gearing, 14-48.

14///46

two links off the chain, longest chain, this allows the wheel to sit all the way back.

Not sure about links on stock, but the wheel sit around middle stock.

Anyone what the stock chain length on a 250 exc is? (04)

Anyone what the stock chain length on a 250 exc is? (04)

116, I believe

Well, my blocks are in the middle. I am thinking a taller tire will set up, ( I am installing the TT M43 tomorrow) will make the bike want to push the front end at least a little. Its only been a couple of years since I learned to setup my suspension. When you guys talk about 1 or 2 click settings I am amazed as I cannot tell much difference. I can say since Javier set up my bike and I have the correct sag I can control the bike and I love the plush over rocks and hard stuff. My rekluse helps also since I am not a great rider. Anyway I am thinking of adding a link and moving the blocks back. I am 6ft 1, 200 lbs if it matters. Any thoughts?