Sign in to follow this  

Finding a clean xr250

Hi guys. After a few weeks of thinking and a lot of reading, I have decided that a late model xr250 is for me. I am pretty picky and want to pick up a clean version and do not mind being patient if necessary.

I am currently monitoring ebay, this forum, craigslist, and two local papers.

Can you guys give me any other sources to watch?

Thanks!

Jay

Hi guys. After a few weeks of thinking and a lot of reading, I have decided that a late model xr250 is for me. I am pretty picky and want to pick up a clean version and do not mind being patient if necessary.

I am currently monitoring ebay, this forum, craigslist, and two local papers.

Can you guys give me any other sources to watch?

Thanks!

Jay

Just did that. the key is to be patient. Follow leads, but ask lots of questions. It will show up. Just take your time. However, don't let a good one slip through your hands. Remember, Honda quit making them a while ago, so you will be buying used, but a good bike can be found.

A few things to check for:

Free swingarm axle.

Bolts and nuts not mangled.

Proper chain adjustment. (A too tight chain can cause all sorts of problems)

Attention to routine maintenance, proper wheel alignment etc.....

I tried to find one as close to stock as possible. Mine was, however the previous owner had the shop he purchased it from do the Gordon Mods. They did a good job. In fact, they used Kevin's stickies from this forum as a guideline. I was very satisfied. It isn't perfect, however it was very close and with a few upgrades, it will be as good as new. Check out my pics in my garage.

Good luck.

Go around to all the dealerships and spread the word about what you're looking for. I found this steal back in February after talking to the Honda dealership a couple of towns over. The sales guy that I talked to didn't have anything on the floor but called me the next day, turning me on to one of the mechanics that had one he was willing to let go. When he told me the price over the phone, $1000 for a '97, I figured it was a POS. When I showed up to look at it, one look and (in my mind) it was a deal. In the end I came home with this beauty for $900.

img0028ce8.jpg

just have the cash in hand and get the papers the day the come out..usually if a bikes clean a good deal the first person to buy it will look at it. if you are patient you should be able to get a clean low milage bike for a price that you can ride it for a few years and sell it for the same price when your done with it or maybe $100 less. I have friends that are just bad at buying used bikes everytime they got a bike they where so amped on it then when i see the bike i think to myself man you got hosed.

just have the cash in hand and get the papers the day the come out..usually if a bikes clean a good deal the first person to buy it will look at it. if you are patient you should be able to get a clean low milage bike for a price that you can ride it for a few years and sell it for the same price when your done with it or maybe $100 less. I have friends that are just bad at buying used bikes everytime they got a bike they where so amped on it then when i see the bike i think to myself man you got hosed.

Yeah, the key is having the cash on you and being ready to pull the trigger when the deal comes up.